• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Line Counter.....How important are they?

Mike Stark

It's important to know how much line you have out. But there are a number of ways to know this w/o a line counter. I use a bobber stop tied on my line at 100 and 150 ft for reference. Some count the line passes across there baitcaster spool. I use the bobber stop method on my trolling rods mostly because of how bulky the line counter reels were and the lack of quality on many of their drags.

There are some options out there that are less bulky and higher quality. Of course they don't come cheap. The Abu 5500LC or 6500LC would be at the top of that list. They do run $90-$100 through. Diawa has some decent line counter reels now as well with a smaller profile.

I use the okuma brand $40. I use it for walleyes and have used it for trout/salmon on lake michigan. Has never let me down, Granted there are nicer ones out there but with a not so nice price tag. Also use it cat fishin on the rvier.

For trolling cranks I think they are a must. I have even started using them on my Leadcore set up and out fish the wife, she doen't use one. . Sometimes 5-10' off make the difference of getting fish or getting skunked. I run Okumas and some $20 Abus I picked up at the Berkley outlet store and both work well.

They can be a deciding factor between catching fish or just trolling around. Once you determine a pattern they make it so you can set the same amount of line out everytime and with every rod. You don't have to break the bank buying them either we use cabelas brand depthmaster gold combos that normally cost right around $100 but can be bought for around $80 when on sale.

Line counter reels, when used correctly, are a huge tool for the trollers. I say when used correctly because there are factors that can either make or break a line counters effectiveness.

If you have different lines on the same type reels, different diameter lines, mono V.s. Superlines and how much your reel is spooled up as well as spool sizes are big factors in the effectiveness for your linecounters to replicate presentations over and over again.

As far as who makes the best linecounter I would say Shiamno makes the best but its also by far the most expensive.

I would say the next best option is either the Diawa Sealines or the Abu model mentioned above. Tica also makes a good linecounter but pricey.

There are also cheaper options that can be very good. The Okuma line of linecounters are a good option. Good price and I have several that have lasted me several years now.

Cabelas line is also a nice price and quality. I have a couple Gander Mountain Linecounters and they have been surprisingly good for the past 2 seasons now. I think Abu may have made them for gander but Im not sure.

If your new to the linecounter game and not sure you will use them a lot or fight hard running fish like salmon on them you probably can get away with a reel in the $40-$60 range.

If they will get a lot of use and fight bigger stronger fish go more expensive.

I have found the reels I use the most and have been the most reliable are my Diawa Sealines. I use the 17's for walleyes and the 27 for lake trout/salmon. I will use my 47's for leadcore.Over all I find a reel in the 27 size to be a good all around size.

I've had my Shimano line counter (Takota) model 500 I believe, the smaller one for Eyes for two seasons. Love it. It's a little more expensive like you mentioned. ($169.00) But I'm a Shimano guy. What I like about them is they are smaller than say some of the others like the Cabela's.

Care to shed a little light on the "special cranks" Mykal mentioned on the ML post??? Always interested in a few more cranks, to put Eyes in the boat grin

Very important IMO.

I have a Cabelas brand and no complaints, Cabela runs a lot of sales on thier brand merchandise too, so you can get one cheap.

Or you can by a clip on line counter for about $15, these are actually more acurate than a counter reel, even the expensive ones.

Just bought two Cabela's DepthMaster combos for bout $60 apiece. Smaller profile reel - they look great - will get their first use this weekend. Trollin cranks for eyes - 10/4 fireline....no great lakes kind of use, etc. I expect they will fit the bill for me nicely.

Ya the clip on counters are a waste of money. Never had one work consistantly.

Rodmaker I would tel ya but you would never find any anyhow.Ah what the heck I feel giving tonight. Renosky Chrystalina in glow perch and silver blue. Deadly baits in the lines of a bomber long A.

I have an Okuma and a Diawa. Very happy with both. Picked them up at Fleet Farm and they were reasonable. They are very important to me because this Polack tends to lose count trying to keep track of passes on a baitcaster. Quantum now has one and I will check that out when I feel the need to replace.

I key in the name renosky chrystalina, and I can't even get their web.

Just go to Renosky the way you would usually put it in and you will get them. E-mail me with any questions. I just e-mailed them again and Ill see if I get anything back. Im trying to get a catalog as well. Ill let ya know what I find out.

I like longer rods in the 8-8.5' range. They do well long lining and are better for boards because they will keep your line up higher and out of waves better than shorter rods. Telescoping rods are easier to store and put together to fish with after storage. I prefer them over 2 piece.

Gander Mt. has good trolling rods, cabelas, jason mitchel, diawa, Shimano teloras are real nice, Gary Roach rods, Bass Pro makes some real nice ones too.

For walleyes I like the med or Med/lights with a soft tip but strong mid section. Softer rods if you use superlines.

Ugly sticks man, ugly sticks! 7.5 medium, with a good line counter the right line right speed and right crank it can be deadly! Cheap rod with really good action. I have saw HUGE browns and coho's pulled in on these. Light enough to see the action of the crank aswell. FF usually has them on sale. Or you can spend 200$ it's your money.