• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Oktoberfest!

We just returned from a trip to Europe and one of the highlights was spending a day at Oktoberfest in Munich. Wow - it was spectacular. laugh It is a 15 day festival - think MN State Fair, only 6 times bigger! There are about 10 huge beer tents, each sponsored by the big German breweries, and several smaller ones. We were lucky enough to get a table in the Lowenbrau tent - at noon! Each brewery also has a team of draft horses and a decorated wagon that is paraded around a couple of times during the day. Photo opportunities were plentiful, I thought I'd share just a couple of my attempts. (You all know how hard it is to get pictures without some danged tourist getting in the way :/)

Here is part of the inside of the Lowenbrau tent, each tent seats 10,000 people. You can only order their brand of beer and only by the liter. 50 euros for 6 beers!!! Darn spendy - but great beer!! crazy

IMG_4926.jpg

This is the Lowenbrau wagon - talk about fall colors!

IMG_5013.jpg

Here's the driver

IMG_5009-1.jpg

Here is one of the horses - from Augustiner Brau

IMG_5087.jpg

Prost!!

Thanks for the comments everyone - my pleasure to share! Stu - I think I saw Norm and Cliff several times. And, yes, the beer at Oktoberfest was expensive - but I don't know when I'll ever get there again, so I wasn't going to have a "Coke Light" smile

Actually, in the grocery stores the beer and wine were really reasonable, and in some places less expensive than bottled water.

The colors that day were awesome - even with an overcast sky. Between the tents and all the locals in their lederhosen & dirndls, there was a picture every time you turned around. But it was hard to hold my camera and that 1 liter mug at the same time laughlaugh

I am jealous... I was in Germany last year during Oktoberfest for training before we started our peacekeeping duties in Kosovo and we weren't allowed to go to Munich at all... Now I am even more disappointed. Love the pics, now I must make a return trip there for this event in the future.