• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

How did the price of gas affect your fishing this summer?

candiru

It didn't cut back at all. Made several trips to Canada and up north to Vermillion and Rainy. I did spend a lot of time wading around the small lakes up here fly fishing for panfish and bass which was a new experience for me. On the trips north I always have one or two other wallets to dip into to share the gas expense. What I have cut back on is that I like to jump on a plane and travel to vacation locations which usually involve some sort of fishing. The cost of airfare is keeping me home.

We didn't travel up north any less than usual. I actually used more gas this year because we had motor problems on our old boat. Had to take the truck more often because I was busy towing the boat. Usually take the car since the boat's on a lift.

With the motor problems though, went from a gas sucking, smelly 90 hp beast to a fuel sipping, fuel injected 75 hp 4 stroke. So nice! Oh and I will probably use my electric trolling motor more in the future to save even more gas. Autopilot is just so nice for trolling around.

I guess I'm going to be the oposite of most guys here. I fished much less closer to home due to the increased traffic and made more (and longer to make it worth the money) trips up north this year. There was one time on Red this year that I was the only boat (on a Tuesday morning) that I could see! You gotta love it from my point of view but I really feel for the resort owners.

I fished less, and concentrated closer to home. I sold my big truck and big boat last spring. Have a 6 cyl. and a 14' now. No Canadian trips. 2 fishless outings to Mille Lacs. My usual fishing spots were about 70 miles away. Now I usually hit one lake(25 miles). Have had pretty decent luck out there on all species all year.

...There was one time on Red this year that I was the only boat (on a Tuesday morning) that I could see! You gotta love it from my point of view but I really feel for the resort owners.

Makes it hard on a new lake if you're the only one cause there's no crowds marking the hot spots laugh

It affected my fishing some. Didn't go out as much by myself. Usually waited until someone else could go with me to split the costs. Went closer to home as well. Didn't go up to Chisago as much as I usually do.

No gas needed for my float tube smile I did that pretty much anytime I went by myself.

Didn't need much gas to get to the lakes either. just threw the tube in my little rice burner and off i went.

600 miles on 10.7 gallons= 56 mpg smile

600+miles.jpg

Nice. I had a 94 Ford Aspire and 88 Mercury Tracer both 5spds. I miss those cars....especially the price to fill them up with gas. I could get around 40mpg with mine but my engines were a little bigger than 1.5l.

Nice. I had a 94 Ford Aspire and 88 Mercury Tracer both 5spds. I miss those cars....especially the price to fill them up with gas. I could get around 40mpg with mine but my engines were a little bigger than 1.5l.

40 is pretty good for that old merc!