• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

How did the price of gas affect your fishing this summer?

candiru

I am just curious how have gas prices affected this summer's fishing. Did anyone notice less anglers out? How has traffic been at the bait shops?

I pretty much shut down along with the bite after about July 4. When I did go I stayed closer to home and only went when the weather was good. I also took my time getting there. There seemed to be a drop-off in numbers of people out. I kind of figured folks would go in May/June no matter what but a drop-off after that.

didnt hold me back a lot. didnt notice much of a difference in new london area, but up north, deer river area, seemed like less. thought there was more activity around new london, maybe closer to home for people.

I just went closer to home a lot more times than in the past. I kept my boat in the cities this year so I probably burned more gas going out more times than if I went up north 4 or 5 times.

Fished just as much as usual just spent more time getting to know local lakes. Concentrated on Lake Superior when I could get out there.

I still havent mastered the slowing the boat down to conserve gas thing Dietz. I know stop, reverse, trolling speeds and WOT baby. grin

I have fished at least as much if not more. I Have excellent fishing within 20 minutes of home and thats where I have always done a majority of my fishing. this summer was no different. I know I spent more time on the ice last winter as well. I was all over the place

I fished a little more and am still fishing. I did notice a drop off of boat traffic and it seems a lot of cabins were dark on the weekends. I think a lot of people did not visit the lakes as much. I was a little more picky on the days I did go and when I went I left earlier so I could stay longer. Didn't turn down any offers of gas money from fishing partners either.

I fished about the same as last year but I didn't go up north or out west at all. Furthest trip was prob. 90 miles. I did notice the local lakes were much busier than in years past. No doubt a result of the gas prices.....

Ive fished more this year then last year. New 4 stoke makes a huge diffrence. Less gas for the boat turns into more time on the water. Fishing close to home helps a ton as well.

Duck

As my buddy River Dan says "You can't put a price on theropy"

I fished just as much. I usually fish the St. Croix so it didn't stop me. I did start having the folks that go out with me drop me some cash to help with gas.

I cut back on the distances I travel to fish ,,,ran the boat at 4500 rpms to conserve gas and trolled more. Called my ins agent and had 'tow only' policy put on my truck to save a bit there too,,,lost more lures then I bought (lighten the load in the boat) and I learned a lot about fishing Lake Superior

LAS