Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
candiru

How did the price of gas affect your fishing this summer?

48 posts in this topic

I am just curious how have gas prices affected this summer's fishing. Did anyone notice less anglers out? How has traffic been at the bait shops?

I pretty much shut down along with the bite after about July 4. When I did go I stayed closer to home and only went when the weather was good. I also took my time getting there. There seemed to be a drop-off in numbers of people out. I kind of figured folks would go in May/June no matter what but a drop-off after that.

It never stopped me from going, went up north twice and would have done it more but the calendar did not let me. know its time to scout which even takes more gas.

I fished as much, but just did it closer to home. Not one upnorth fishing trip for me this year, compared to usually 6-8

I fished as much but I just did not travel very far. When a day wass questionable as far as the weather I stayed home instead of burning up alot of gas with no fishing.

Like others have said.. I too easily went as much... maybe even more. But stayed closer to home, and when running the boat(250hp) I kept the rpms lower to conserve gas rather than run around the lake like a mad man...

didnt hold me back a lot. didnt notice much of a difference in new london area, but up north, deer river area, seemed like less. thought there was more activity around new london, maybe closer to home for people.

Maybe it is not related. But it seemed as though there wasn't the usual drop in activity on this site this summer.

I just went closer to home a lot more times than in the past. I kept my boat in the cities this year so I probably burned more gas going out more times than if I went up north 4 or 5 times.

Fished just as much as usual just spent more time getting to know local lakes. Concentrated on Lake Superior when I could get out there.

I still havent mastered the slowing the boat down to conserve gas thing Dietz. I know stop, reverse, trolling speeds and WOT baby. grin

I have fished at least as much if not more. I Have excellent fishing within 20 minutes of home and thats where I have always done a majority of my fishing. this summer was no different. I know I spent more time on the ice last winter as well. I was all over the place

I did not drive nearly as-much as I normally would have.

Who could afford it?

I stayed within 25 miles or less.

I fished a little more and am still fishing. I did notice a drop off of boat traffic and it seems a lot of cabins were dark on the weekends. I think a lot of people did not visit the lakes as much. I was a little more picky on the days I did go and when I went I left earlier so I could stay longer. Didn't turn down any offers of gas money from fishing partners either.

Only slightly...but then again I couldn't "afford" to have a new boat just sit in the garage either..fished more this summer than past dozen or so..and I am not finished.

I went fishing just as much, traveled to usual places, drank the same amount of beer, skipped groceries. Man have you noticed the price jump in milk!!

1 more thing, I cut all the lil Mrs, shirts down a tad in front so when she bartenders the tips add up a lil faster

I fished about the same as last year but I didn't go up north or out west at all. Furthest trip was prob. 90 miles. I did notice the local lakes were much busier than in years past. No doubt a result of the gas prices.....

I fished more, bought a way bigger boat and trailered farther. You only live once and money in the bank doesn't make me happy like fishing does.

I'm somewhat of a fair weather fisherman and I hate the heat almost as much as I hate the wind.

I'm just now starting to get back out, but will not travel far from home.

Now if we could just drop the wind speed and warm the temp a bit laugh

We have not cut down our fishing at all. Just closer to home. No more Canada trips, Red lake is now our Canada grin No need to go way north, we have it pretty good right here.

Ive fished more this year then last year. New 4 stoke makes a huge diffrence. Less gas for the boat turns into more time on the water. Fishing close to home helps a ton as well.

Duck

As my buddy River Dan says "You can't put a price on theropy"

I fished just as much. I usually fish the St. Croix so it didn't stop me. I did start having the folks that go out with me drop me some cash to help with gas.

I cut back on the distances I travel to fish ,,,ran the boat at 4500 rpms to conserve gas and trolled more. Called my ins agent and had 'tow only' policy put on my truck to save a bit there too,,,lost more lures then I bought (lighten the load in the boat) and I learned a lot about fishing Lake Superior

LAS

but deitz, dont the fish always bite better on the other end of the lake?