• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Grouse shot?

I generally use 2 3/4" shells with either a 7 1/2 or 8 shot for grouse. I will always have a few 6's with, just in case. Now, with my 20 ga. it is almost always 2 3/4" 6's, sometimes 8's. If the birds are jumpy and getting up a bit further out, my 20 ga. will be loaded with 3" 6's.

I'm sure everyone will be different, but this is what works for me.

I use a SxS and use a spreader load of #8 in the right barrel with the same or 7 1/2 in the left barrel. This is for both grouse and woodcock and either the 12 or 20 SxS that I may use.

I'm another one of those aristocratic, dyed-in-the-wool 7 1/2 in a 12 gauge.

I see plenty of spent casings of this variety while walking my favorite trails, so I'm surely not the only one.

It seems as though some people are confusing prairie grouse with ruffed grouse maybe?

4 shot seems ridiculous for ruffs, all you need is one 7 1/5 shot pellet in the neck area to kill one. 4 shot is overkill, and expensive to boot...

It seems as though some people are confusing prairie grouse with ruffed grouse maybe?

4 shot seems ridiculous for ruffs, all you need is one 7 1/5 shot pellet in the neck area to kill one. 4 shot is overkill, and expensive to boot...

Nope I use for 4 shot for ruffed grouse. If you saw the cover I hunt in, you would understand. Its alot different to put a pellet in the neck area of grouse that is pointed then flushed compared to guys that are ground pounding them in the middle of a dirt road. If I was doing that then yes 4 shot would be over kill and I could probably use a sling shot and save some cash.

I work over 2 pointers, and I shoot fast, and I know if I used 4 shot I wouldn't get a lot of meat off of some birds. I hunt them for that tasty white meat, and I want to savor every last bit of each bird I can!

Are you hunting clear cuts where the birds flush wild on the other side of the cut?

I guess I'm confused, shooting a bird that you know is there (because of the point) that you have to shoot so close (skeet chokes work wonders for ruffs) why would a guy use such a heavy load?

Also, for the ground pounders, I would think 4 would be great, you could hit 'em from much farther distances!

That's why I use 4s this time of year. I'm not ashamed to admit it, i'll hit one on the ground any chance I get since I don't hunt over dogs. And it's to save meat, the wide spread and number of shot you get out of a smaller will get alot more bbs in the meat, head shots are alot easier with a bigger load.

why would a guy use such a heavy load?

I hunt woods that are so thick you can hardly walk through them. I dont hunt trails I just make my way through the woods following the dogs. Anything less than high velocity 4's dont have the take down power through the trees. I am lucky if I see the grouse for a second before it is gone in thick woods.

I am not going to argue over shot size. I use what works for me.

I like 6. i hunt thick stuff and it works great and it takes down sky high crows very well. I would never ground pound a bird dont see the point takes the fun right out of it but have hunted with guys that have no problem doing it just not my thing.

I have never had the luck of seeing a grouse on the ground that I have the privilege of shooting on the ground. Most times it is a quick burst of grey on the ground and then flight. So, I can not say shooting a grouse on the ground is a bad thing. If one gets a clean shot of a ruffed grouse on the ground, I can not blame them for taking the shot. Very rare shot in my book. Ground or air, the grouse is down. We are not talking about other birds here. It is a grouse wink.

Now for the 4 shot issue.

I (like others) hunt very think cover. One of my most memorable shots and getting the grouse down was with 4 shot. It was in extremely tight poplar stand. 1.5” to 2” poplar tree’s. I am working my way threw, with my dog. It was like a grey wall in front of me. I am walking around the sprouts like people at a rock concert. Sure enough, a FLUDDDDDD! goes off and I get sight of the bird right off of take off. Mind you I had put the 4 in prior because of the situation I was hunting. Like I have trained my self for many times over, up went the barrel, switch the safety, lead the bird and pull the trigger with in a second. I kid you not, that load went threw a small poplar and got the bird. I still have the mental mind image of the poplar falling to the right as the load passed right threw it. I sent the dog in and we found the bird still slightly alive, under a large oak log that had fallen many years ago. I rung it's neck and it was in the back of my hunting vest..

Good times smile!

Use what u like but here is why I use the high brass 7 1/2 copper plated lead.. It's a simple mathmatic game.. I have a much greater chance of taking that bird down with 280 pellets in the sky than I do with 160 pellets..That may not be the exact number but you get the point..copper plated lead kills and patterns much better than regular lead. It may be $15 a box but with all the money you spend on gear don't skimp on the shells..

In the high brass shells I shoot The 4's And 7's push the same amount of lead with the same amount of powder. So with the 4's your only gaining a little umph at impact. That is of coarse if you are lucky enough to sneek one of those pellets through the foliage to the target.. So I'll use the mathmatic factor to gain an edge. Other than my dog it's the only one I'll get...good hunting...uplander

Another vote for 7 1/2 shot. I like the federal 3/4 base, upland load. Maybe go to a 6 heavy base later in the year. I have no trouble taking a ground bird when not hunting with the dog. Far too delicious to let a runner escape.

Quote:
high brass 7 1/2 copper plated lead..

Well, I am going to bite. I will pick a box up.

I still say hunt with what ever you feel the most comfortable hunting with, but I am always open to trying new things out. grin

I use 2-3/4" the cheapest #7.5 or #8"s in my first Improved cylinder barrel followed by a high brass #6 in my modified barrel for the follow up shot.

This is the first time I have ever heard of anyone using #4 on grouse. Doesn't it do tremendous damage to the meat? I've seen birds drop dead out of the air with one 7.5 or 8 pellet when cleaned!

I usually only get 25% of the birds I flush without a dog.

Maybe I need to increase my firepower?

Ferny.