• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

what are the rules on buying and shooting pheasants?

I believe there is some information in the regs about it. It will most likely be under dog training. If it is during the season I'm not sure how it would be classified. If you are hunting out of the pheasant season it would be cprobably be classified as training. Make sure he keeps the receipt from the game farm. I've read through the book and I'll be honest it's very confusing. It would probably be best to talk to a CO about it. They are the ones that right the fines so they generally know the rules best. I have emailed and called the DNR on the past and have received two different answers to the same question. I always ask a CO, when possible, now.

I think that once a bird is released it's considered wild game and you must follow the regs - no hens, 3 birds etc. A ribbon isn't going to do you any good. We used to do it but always made sure it was all roosters and kept the limits in mind. A bit of advice - once a friend went and bought some and put them in a gunny sack. By the time he got home they had all suffocated.

I am not an CO so not 100% sure, but this is what the game farm owner told us when we bought some pheasants & quail last week for dog training, "all you need is this DNR permit and receipt for the birds we bought for dog training purposes". I have read the regs and yes they are kinda vag.

I like BDR have always had the reciept and such, but always tied a red, orange, or yellow ribbon on the leg. That way when a bird flushes in a training situation you know it is one you released.

I could found is this - Page 28 of the regs.

Dog Training

A person may not train hunting dogs afield on DNR administered

lands from April 16 to July 14. A person may train hunting dogs

afield on other lands.

A person training a dog afield and carrying a firearm may only

have blank cartridges and shells in possession when the season is

not open for any game bird, except by permit. An organization or

individual may obtain permits to use firearms and live ammunition

on domesticated birds or banded game birds from game farms for

holding field trials and training hunting dogs.

The form for doing it is here - note the info on marking the birds:

http://files.dnr.state.mn.us/rlp/permits/enforcement/dog_training.pdf

You must have the dog training permit for using live birds out of the normal season. The birds must be marked, ribbon, paint, ect. and you must be on private land. There is no limit and you may also use hens up until the season starts. The dog training permit also allows you to train on public land but you may not use live ammo. The permit is free you just need to send in your application, they will send it back with the approvals and also send a copy to the local CO. You must have the permit with you while you are out training. And remember it only covers you, if you have a training partner he needs to have his own permit.

I think the permit is only for a specific location, though - not a blanket permit - ie, you can't just go over to Uncle Joe's slough, ribbon up a couple of captive hens and plant them. It has to be a specific area, as I recall.

Also - be careful when you are training - look for the ribbon. We were training once when a wild rooster flushed. It happens...

Also - I think if you just want to let them go - I guess I wouldn't release them all at one time, unless you have a large enough party to potentially shoot all 25. Captive pheasants are a one of the more stupid birds around - and are a dinner bell for most predators.

Have fun. It should be a blast!