• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Cleaning out dogs eyes after hunting

fishing4life

Im sure most of you have have this issue before. After you take your dog hunting, the dog comes back with all kinds of foreign objects in their eyes. I was wondering if anybody knows if it would be safe to use regular contact solution to clean them out. The contact solution is a sterile solution. Thanks.

Gunk in the eyes is a common issue. You can gently use a Q-tip to get the seeds & gunk out. Then afterwards I will sometimes put opthalmic ointment in their eyes to help soothe them and help prevent conjunctivitis.

I ask my vet this exact question a couple weeks ago and he recommended using contact solution to thoroughly flush the dogs eyes at the end of every hunting day.

Good in theory...we'll see how my dog puts up with it.

Yep, Saline or Contact solution works great. You'll have to hold the eye lid open and squirt in and let it "overflow" for some time as you'll be amazed at home much junk is in there. Do a couple of different times to get the majority of stuff out.

Wait until one has a couple hundred porcupine quills to pull & you are a couple miles from the rig, much less a vet. Needlenose pliars, hemostat, check cord, reins, and a tree/ fencepost all come in handy. Also the leather gloves will be a godsend for the ones down their throat.

Bloody ? Of course but having seen what a quill does as it migrates through soft tissue give you a certain resolve to get them out ASAP!!! Not fun.

My lab can not stand the saline solution. She does not like squirt bottles of any kind. If it is still early season, I like to toss a few training dummies in to the lake for her. This seems to work well to clean out her eyes.

Other wise I just suck it up and use the saline. Not fun but has to be done.