• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

BBQ a whole pig

Yeah it's a blast but takes alot of time and a big cooker that you can rotate or a big hole in the ground on some hot coals. It usually takes a long time like all night and into the next day to cook it thoroughly and the meat will fall apart. Ideally find a pig that has been scalded to get the hair off so it's ready to go. You might want to wrap chicken wire around it to keep the meat from falling off. I think you can find lots of hog-roasting info online and I'm sure some of the guys on this site will have lots of good info. Makes me hungry just thinking about it.

redhooks

I've done about 15 pigs. In fact I'm doing one coming up this Saturday.

A lot of people leave the skin on when they roast a pig. I don't. The best way to make a bland pig is to leave the skin on in my opinion. Zero smoky flavor makes it into the meat. I guess they worry about the pig drying out, but I have never had a problem.

I have the farmer skin the pig and leave the fat on. The layer of fat will melt during the cooking process and continuously baste the meat.

I also inject the pig with seasoning as well as rub it down inside and out.

Cooking time depends on the size of the pig, the weather, cooking temp, etc. I've cooked a small 90 pound pig in less than 10 hours. I had a 210 pounder take what seemed to be forever and a day.

Maybe I'll take pictures of my process this weekend and post em' if your interested.