• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Swollen Ear

DrJ

My 12 year old lab has swelling in his ear. It's the size of a pizza roll. 1" X 1" x 1". the swelling is like it is in a compartment. The ear is flat and then the swollen part sticks out. He shows no signs of a bug bite and it doesn't seem to bother him one bit.Could it be a broken blood vessel that caused the swelling,but it's not hot to the touch. Anyone have any ideas Thanks DrJ.

My 11 - 12 year old just had this. It is a Hematoma (sp)

You can bring him in and have it drained, they will want to do surgery to fix the blood vessel. I waited too long and when they tried to drain it the blood had coagulated (sp)

He still has a little bump but it is going down.

Good Luck,

Mike

i agree, the more your dog shakes it's head, the more likely they are to develope a hemetoma. we have to clean one of my lab's ears every other day to avoid this prob.