• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

what a drag

Wondering if I could get some ideas what you use to make it easier for one person to drag a deer out of the woods. Especially if it is a long distance and an atv is not an option. Wanting to get my son something to make it easier for him to drag a deer out of the deep woods and have it relatively portable. I've seen some wheeled dolly types, but don't know much about them. Thanks for the ideas.

WTSlayer, its called the "Drag Buddy". Just read the reviews on it, looks like it hooks into the jaw of the animal. You end up dragging it by the head, with the grain of the hair, making it much easier. Always nice dragging a deer by the head, but if it doesn't have antlers, it gets much tougher.

What also works well is if you son wears a safty harness, you can tie the head off on the back side of the harness and that works well. Or take an old ski rope and use the handle with about 2-3 feet of rope and tie the rope around the head, both ways work well and a very cheap if you have one or the other already.

I have a cart. I think I spent right around $100 for it. Best money I have spent for hunting in a long time. I have had it for 4 seasons now and use it for hauling stands in and dragging deer out. If there is no snow, I'm going back to the truck for the cart. Once you use one, you will not go hunting without it.

WTSlayer, its called the "Drag Buddy". Just read the reviews on it, looks like it hooks into the jaw of the animal. You end up dragging it by the head, with the grain of the hair, making it much easier. Always nice dragging a deer by the head, but if it doesn't have antlers, it gets much tougher.

96trigger - Yep that is what it was. Have you heard of anybody using it? Do they like it?

I just picked up a cart, basically a large V shaped dolly. I haven't used it yet but I think I will love it. I did my homework read a lot of good reviews, it was an Ameritep I believe. Make sure to get the heavy duty version because the cheaper wheels tend to break. It also folds flat so I can store it under the back seat of the truck.

WTSlayer, I have not used it or know anybody that has. I think its a relatively new product. It was featured in one of my hunting mags as a must have, so I would hope it would work. I haven't bought one because I am not sure how much I need it or how much I'd like it, the handle seems offly short and most of my drags are down hill. I wouldn't mind trying it though.

Last year a friend of mine busted out the greatest thing I've ever seen for dragging deer out. It was rolled up in a tub about 18" long. It was just a little plastic sled that you strapped the deer into with 4 straps that are attached to the sled. It was the slickest thing I've ever seen. It went up and over bumps, logs, down through gulleys, through brush, it was AWESOME. Carts couldn't go half the places you can drag a deer through with this thing. Yes, there is still some manuel labor involved but it's a heckuva lot easier than just dragging one.

You put some snow on the ground and I doubt you could find anything easier other than being able to drive right up to it.

I've gotta try and find one of them for myself for this season.

The other option you have if it's really deep in the woods and you're alone - quarter him up and carry him out like you do on a mountain hunt with bigger game. I'd never pass on a buck because I didn't want to have to get him out....this option allows you to hunt many places that others wont just for that sole reason.

**Found one at Cabelas - $30.....type in "deer sled". Slick as snot.

One thing you can do at the sight. Keep a length of rope with you when hunting. When you are ready to drag the deer, find about a 2"-3" diameter stick about 1'-2' long and tie the rope in the center. With one end of the stick layed across your waist and the other supported by your hand, you should be able to just walk forward with the deer in tow.

Bob

One thing you can do at the sight. Keep a length of rope with you when hunting. When you are ready to drag the deer, find about a 2"-3" diameter stick about 1'-2' long and tie the rope in the center. With one end of the stick layed across your waist and the other supported by your hand, you should be able to just walk forward with the deer in tow.

Bob

This is what I have always done and have never had a problem, other than finding a weak stick. It is easier with 2 people. Each person just grabs one end of the stick. On my rifle I have a sling that I can put across my back with one shoulder through each strap which also makes it much easier.

Believe it or not, I have on several occasions cut a stick, cut a hole through the deers nostrils shoved the stick through it and it makes it a heck of a lot easier to drag a deer if it doesn't have antlers. The nose hide ususally hangs in there pretty good.

I bought one of those plastic sleds/toboggan thingys, Drags great for about $3.00, and if there is even the slightest snow you better watch out on the down hill runs the thing will run you right over.

I have an Ameristep cart and it came with the plastic hub wheels. 1st time out they broke. Called Ameristep and they knew about the problem and sent me spoke wheels, no questions asked.

Right now I have the cart at the welding shop. I want it lower to the ground because it is too top heavy. One little bump and it wants to tip over. They are going to lower it and then shorten the cross pieces so the handles stay up at waist level.

A friend has the aluminum one that is more "L" shaped. That one works great for one person.

I started using a roll up plastic sled on bear so I wouldn't ruin the hide, now I use it for deer as well. It boggles my mind how much easier it is to drag on snow or bare ground with it. I just strap it in, and the use my tree stand harness to pull.

I started using a roll up plastic sled on bear so I wouldn't ruin the hide, now I use it for deer as well. It boggles my mind how much easier it is to drag on snow or bare ground with it. I just strap it in, and the use my tree stand harness to pull.

Yep, it was the slickest thing I'd ever seen for dragging deer out, and such a simple idea too...I wondered why I'd never seen or heard about one before!