Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
DinkADunk

Lower Unit removal/installation question.

3 posts in this topic

I'm currently gathering parts and supplies to winterize my motors this fall and plan on changing the impeller on my kicker motor. I have a SELOC manual that covers my motors (2004 Johnson 9.9HP and 140HP 4 strokes - aka Suzuki's), replacement fuel filters, oil filters, oil, lower lube, stainless cotter pins, and a water pump repair kit for the kicker. I have the following questions.

The water pump kit and SELOC manuals suggest to grease the spline section of the driveshaft. On says to use Johnson moly lube, the other says to use water resistant grease. What grease do you use? I have Sta-Lube Multi-Purpose Marine Grease (the thick light blue stuff for wheel bearings), Amsoil Heavy Duty Synthetic, and Amsoil Multi-Purpose Synthetic around the shop.

The second question involves mounting the lower unit back on the motor. One says to "apply silicon seal (99000-3120) to the mating faces of the driveshaft housing and grearcase, also gearcase tightening bolts". The other says to use Johnson Gasket Sealing compound or equivalent. Again, what do you folk's use? Would any particular gasket maker from NAPA work well? I have some Permatex Ultra Black RTV silicone which is probably overkill as well as Permatex Blue RTV Silicone Gasket Maker which should do but I would like to check with you folk's first.

Thanks in advance

A light film of EP or marine grease will work fine. I personally use moly lube.

In fresh water conditions, I don't see any need to put a sealer between the housings. There is nothing to seal there, so the only reason would be to prevent corrosion like you would be likely see in salt water. However, If the boat stays in the water all summer, using anti-corrosion products is never a bad idea. A thread sealer on the bolts is not a bad idea either. It certainly does help removal several years down the road.

I see no need for sealer between the housings either.

marine_man