• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Patternmaster (or extended choke) over Decoys

I want to here from all the "experts" as I don't know the answer.

Part 1 - Do you keep your patternmaster in while hunting over decoys? It seems like it's a double edged sword. On one hand you can reach out and touch flaring birds and on the other you could blow birds that come into the decoys into pieces.

Part 2 - It seems to me that you'd use the patternmaster mainly for geese or during the late season or do you just leave it in year round? What do you all think?

Part 3 - Patternmaster users- what Brand and shot have you found to work best through your choke?

I think thats why people still use mods and IC's. If your good at decoying and calling (or know when not to call...) you'll do just fine over dekes w/ the "normal" chokes.

I'm actually thinking I might use the 20 this weekend to add a little sport to the teal, woodies, and mallards.

Plus I'll plan on calling the honkers into about 20 yards and smash 'em anyway.

I hate when a clown in the field or on TV get all loud and excited when they pillow case a bird at 10 yards with a tight choke and heavy load. Get a clue, that's just a senseless waste for such a cool game bird.

im actually going to use the "pillowcase" image as a mental reminder to better my lead and get more head hits on birds this year regardless if i use my pm or fact chokes. head shots have not been my forte the past few seasons. i will have my pm in my gun opening day, but i plan on being in more of a pass shooting situation and dont foresee the birds working my dekes all that well due to lack of cover.

I do use my Pattern Master during duck season as well as goose hunting. I like to have the PM with me to swat cripples and available if a flock of geese happen to come by. Remember it is legal to have two loaded guns in the blind with you in Minnesota. You can have your Mod. or IC in one gun and a PM in the other. That is the way I do it.

If you don't have 2 guns I guess I would choose Mod. for duck hunting and change out to PM when I am chasing geese.

To answer your question on brand of shell to use. Every gun is a little different. If I can find Kent at a decent price I like the 3 1/2 BB. If I am pinching pennys good old Winchester 3 1/2 2 shot patterns well for me. You will have to experiment with differnt loads for your gun.

I use an in between choke improved modified and it is stellar on most types of shooting, its made by carlson and it is extended. I do let the birds come in pretty close 15 yards or so and then blast away or sometimes I let that first susie put her feet out and let em have it,

if its a group of teal I let em land and swim a couple strokes and hopefully they stop swimming and then wham wham wham