• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Eagle of Snowbank Lake (w/pic added)

Ken had a mid-day break from work, so he and I tooled around the Fernberg for a couple of hours and came on this eagle, which had been feeding on a small goose along the side of Snowbank Road and flushed up into a nearby tree as we came upon it.

The eagle did not want to leave the goose. I was able to get perched shots but Ken got some nice BIFs as it took off from the tree, which I'm sure he'll post later.

When we passed the spot coming back the other way, the eagle flushed and brought the goose with it this time, though we were not able to get pictures. It was a very small variety of Canada goose with a small bill, and was barely bigger than a mallard.

Both with Canon 30D, Canon 400 f5.6L, iso400, 1/1250 at f5.6, +1 1/3 exposure compensation, handheld

2905613008_cfc7dd9d9d_o.jpg

2905611888_0fec96448e_o.jpg

Ken, no pressure meant, buddy! When I saw that second to the last shot on the LCD I knew you had a money shot. Great one there! Wish I had it!

And shadows/highlights can help a guy out a whole lot. I used a ton of it to bring out the shadow detail in mine. I also lassoed the eye/eye cavity in both images and brightened that area up using levels, which emphasizes the eye a bit. gringrin

Like you thought at the time, Ken, we should have pulled the vehicle up around the corner and gone into the woods and sat until the eagle came back for the goose.

It sure was insistent on keeping that goose! I think we'd have gotten some even better shots. Too much yakking between fellow photographers to keep our eye on the ball, eh? gringrin

Thanks again. It's just fun hanging out sometimes. gringrin

MM and yak, if you'd like you can start a new thread on image sharpness. There are a lot of factors that go into it, and though prime lenses like the 400 f5.6L are inherently sharper than zooms, there are a lot of things that can be done to sharpen up most zooms. And not all post processing sharpening regimens are created alike.

Up to you. smilesmile

Here's another eagle (a bit of a ratty looking juvie bird) from almost exactly the same place on Snowbank Road this morning.

Canon 20D, Canon 400 f5.6L, iso400, 1/1250 at f5.6, +2 exposure compensation, monopod. The +2 EC blew out the sky just slightly, but it was easy to recover those highlights in the RAW converter in Photoshop CS2. It needed that level of EC so the bird was not badly underexposed against the sky, which would have made it noisier than heck

2908338046_06d4009fe1_o.jpg

Noooo. I thought my trip this weekend might be in jeopardy, but will be able to get it in to Benville in the morning. Looks like I blew a line. Thought I might sneak out for a little shoot this afternoon, but I don't want to run over any moose that might jump out in front of me! You didn't check out Uncle Judd's cabin? By the way, my mononpod appeared mysteriously today in my room. I wonder where that has been?

Nope, didn't get into the cabin. Only had a couple hours to spare. See, when you buy a Manfrotto monopod, they are so sophisticated they will eventually catch up to you on their own after you leave them in another photographer's car. gringrin

Glad you'll be good to go tomorrow. A single brake line replacement is no big deal.

Quote:
they are so sophisticated they will eventually catch up to you on their own after you leave them in another photographer's car.

How much extra did I pay for that internal GPS and homing device? grin