• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

on board charger

FishFondler

Question

I am looking at getting an on board charger, 3 bank. What do folks have for experiences? Any comments on the pro mariner, cabelas and MinnKota brands? I think Cabelas is made by promariner. I would think a 3 bank 30 amp would be large enough for quick charging (10amp per battery). I looked at a pro tournament 300 long which is 3 bank and 30 amp and has the long cables to reach all batteries easily and like what I saw. Let me hear some advice on this issue. I have been old school till now with regular battery chargers and time for an upgrade. Thanks,

16 answers to this question

I bought a Dual Pro 3 bank (30AMP/10AMP per bank)SE charger, and it works perfect. I wired it to my 2 deep cycle batteries and I ran the 3rd line to the starting battery.

If you are shopping around, take a peek at http://www.profishingsupply.com. Our fellow FM member/sponsor, PerchJerker, runs this online store with several products to choose from. I purchased from him and I will continue to do so.

Definitely check out Pro Fishing Supply!

I'm a big fan of the Dual Pro Chargers and have had good luck with them.

If you do a search in this forum and in the boat & motor forum you'll find several threads with similar questions and advice on which one to buy.

Good Luck!

marine_man

Just one thing. Make sure it is fully automatic. That is, can be left plugged in and secondly that it senses the charge on the various batteries and automatically sends more amps to the discharged battery (usually the trolling motor) when the starter/lights battery is fully charged.

I have a Dual Pro in my boat and am very happy with it. Previously I had two Guest chargers, had good luck with the second one, not so much with the first one but it was a bargain-basement model. I haven't used Minnkota chargers myself but I know a lot of guys that have them and like them. If you check my HSOforum you'll see a rebate on some of the Minn Kota chargers right now. After you get a good on-board charger you'll wonder why you ever waited so long to get one. Hope this helps.

Thanks for the replies. In reading about the Dual Pro in comparison to the Pro Mariner or Pro tournament one of the differneces I see is Dual Pro claims independent charging of each battery while Pro Mariner brags that their unit will charge all three batteries and then when your starter battery is full (likely first) then take the additional amps and distribute those to the remaining two batteries for a faster charge. I like the concept of maximizing and increasing the charge within acceptable deep cycle charging limits. Any comments on this feature for those that know way more than me on this subject? Thanks

I bought the MinnKota 3 bank through Pro Fishing Supply and so far I'm real happy with it. I was a little limited in funds or I would of maybe went with the Dual Pro but the MinnKota seems to work just fine.

And you can't go wrong dealing with Pro Fishing Supply, I'll be buying through them again when the need arises.

I bought a MinnKota 330......3 bank/10 amps per. So far it has worked very nice for me. Scheels had them on sale for $269 and they have a $30 rebate. Not sure if those deals are still on but it turned out to be a good deal.

Another for dual pro from me. I've really only had a dual pro, the big dog(4 bank). Still going. I've only had little glitches but for some reason, those same glitches only surface once and it's been doing good since. Could've been loose connection, bad battery, who knows, all I know is it's been flawless.

I just ordered a new/not refurbished minnkota 345 (3 bank, 15am/bank 45 total amps) from c@bel@s online. It was on sale $100 off and also has the rebate. Local stores wouldn't match the price.