• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Chores to do before ice up

I was just reading over there in Ice Fishing about that insulating material you can buy for your ice shelter to make it warm up faster/longer. I need to get some of that! I have an Otter Den and it shouldn't be too tough to do. Tami had some in her house last winter also (she's got a pimped out porty too!). I got some hyfax runners too. Another thing I would like to find is something to put my feet on to get them off the ice. Something that wouldn't freeze in and get slippery? Any suggestions?

I have a lot to do before first ice, the "old grouch" bought a used Otter II last year without opening it up and looking at it. It is still usable but does need some repairs, lots of patches and some new little holes, broken zipper, and need to trick it out with lights, insulating blankets, decent seats. Too bad I couldn't make it down to Fridley last weekend, could have picked up some pointers. I also have a portable I bought from Menards a couple of years ago that is still in the box, gotta take it out next week and see how tough it is to set up. May need a separate house for those times I am fishing with someone else and had chili for lunch. sick

But for anyone who is brave enough to go with me I have a ton of gear, 8-10 tip ups, many rods, 2 augers, 2 portables, and a lot of patience. But be forewarned, I don't really like to use a heater in the portable.

No heater???!!! I really really really like my Mr. Buddy. I have alot of rods/tackle/plastics too if we end up getting some gals together at Appeldoorn's. But I'm not sure my portable will fit in my Honda!! confusedeek

I've ordered a Jason Mitchell spring bobber rod (Jason Mitchell Rods) this year that I'm getting excited to use. So far that's the only new gear I've bought but I've got time.

I just went through my Otter, Nils, Marcum and all rods/reels and tackle and made sure all were in working order. Snowmobiles and trailer are in the works.

My Arctic Armor will be washed and hung to dry outside and my boots will get a waterproofing with snowseal.

Back of the truck gets cleaned of summer gear and the winter gear goes in.

Mr.Heater will get checked out and 12# propane tank filled.

Lisa,

For your feet in the protable, try a piece of insulation board. The type that is black in one side and aluminum on the other, with foam in the middle. I have a small piece in my portable that I lay in the ice. It works great.

GPS? I still use my thumb and a landmark on shore. Let's see... about 1 1/2 thumbnails to the big tree next to the field where old man Johnson grew beans last year, with the arm hals stretched out. wink