• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Do you love BIG fish?

DTro

I do too!

That is why I love fishing for big Cats.

Just thought I’d share this here for those of you that don’t make it over to the Catfish Forum.

Basically the last couple of years I (with the help of others) have run a big fish contest called the King of the Cats. http://kotc2008.com/

This year we had well over 200 fish entered! There were some very big fish caught.

You can see the pics here: http://www.kotc2008.com/gallery/v/kotc2008/?g2_page=1

Thanks again to everyone involved.

Ice fishing

Pan fishing

Bass/pike fishing

Muskie fishing

Fly fishing

NOW CAT FISHING crazy

A guy can seriouly go broke trying to keep up with all the various types of fishing options out there (I'm sure I am missing a few others from the list). From what I gather, there are a number of FM'ers that partake in most if not all of these variations. I'm rigged and pretty well set for the first 3 on the list, but given all that I have invested so far - It'll be a few years before I can justify the cost of adding another one of the options wink.

I am afraid to even try ... we all know how dangerous that can be shocked

That Muskie stuff has to rank up there with one of the MOST expensive variations. Lures alone run $15-25+ a piece eek

the beautiful part of Cattin' is it doesn't require expensive gear.

I use 20 dollar King Kat rods mated with 20 dollar secondhand Penn 209's.

lead I get at Cabelas, under 10 bucks a pack for the big bank sinkers.

Hooks, around 10 per pack of 25 plainjane circles and Kahles.

Swivels, a few bucks a pack for the bigguns.

line, 15 bucks per small spool of 80# PPro.

I buy line once ever other year.

I buy terminal tackle between once and 3 times a year, depending on how much I lose.

It's actually rather easy to go low-budget on cat gear!

I don't know grant, I have 5 complete set ups with Abu reels and so much gear it takes up alot of space. I woukld hate to admit what I have spent on the cat fishing and rigging the boat with 7 rod holders and a remote xcontrol light.

It can get spendy if one lets it.

It can get spendy if one lets it.

It sure can, between the Garcia 6500s and 7000s, couple discontinued notorious cat rods (big bucks here), equipment associated with bait tanks, etc... you can run up a small bill.

For those who haven't checked out the Giant Flathead Catfish Video on the front page, better not miss it. I have an in depth segment on catfishing specific gear and techniques along with a monster fish being boated. Its worth the watch! grin

Don't let these guys fool ya. I have caught flats on bass rods and sturgeon on my daughters spongebob rod as well......although that experiment ended rather abruptly.

You should not skimp on line weight though. Minimum of 20 pound mono or 40 braided.

I have seen guys land 40 pound flats with walleye rods and 8 pound line.

The real question is all about location.........if you are fishing in front of a log jam with a 6 mile per hour current pushing into it......then you will need a pool cue to stop a 40 pounder from taking you into the snag.

If you are in Redwing, or on the Croix.......lighter tackle can be used.

Just don't use stuff that's so light that the battle takes more then 10 or 15 minutes. For C&R guys like me, a fight that lasts longer than that can't be good for the fish so don't go too light.

I like to fish with as light of gear as I think I can get away with.....