• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

New GPS suggestions

deadeye

Question

There are a lot of options out there. I have owned a Garmin E-Trex Vista for the past 4 years and it has worked great. However, It is starting to go into the electronics graveyard. It has a case of electronic enchantment in which it shuts off at the worst possible times and given the abuse taken by it, the time has come for a new one.

I want to get a new one in the next month but I don't know what to get. I hate to go to a store and be sold stuff, I would rather hear what people have to say.

I want one that has a decent topo map, as I do use it for hunting and have mapsource on my current garmin. But, I have been intrigued by the h2o series and the ability to put a lakemaster chip into it for fishing. I am just wanting to hear what people got to say. I would like one that would do dual duty for fishing and hunting.

Life would be simpler with the old map and compass, but its so easy and lazy to point and click to find the spot.

24 answers to this question

There are a lot of people including myself who use the H20. There have been a lot of threads about the various GPS units. If you do a quick search you should be able to find more than you ever want to read about them. Good luck!

I use my H2O with LakeMaster chip in MN for ice fishing and for grouse hunting - the LM chip does an awesome job of marking roads, trails, streams, etc. that really helps make sure you don't get lost. The Lowrance iFinder Hunt C is another option. No topo features though.

If you want topos on a Lowrance unit you can do it with MapCreate, which is Lowrance software. I haven't used it myself but I know it's popular with a lot of guys that go out west.

When I've been hunting out West I've used my Garmin with MapSource files and left my H2O at home. I've never had topo maps in my Garmins but have been very happy with their road and trail maps.

The Garmin Colorado series is becoming very popular and has a lot of neat features. I haven't used one myself. I was just notified today that there is a $50 rebate on Colorado units. I don't have them listed on my HSOforum but can get you pricing on them if you want.

I hope that helps get you pointed in the right direction. You can see these products and prices on my HSOforum if you want. And if you have more questions I'd be happy to try to get them answered for you.

Well, I tried to do the search function and nothing shows up for gps. I tried putting fishing into the search and it came up with nothing too, so I think its broke...

Anyway, I got to look at all of them and check them all out and I kinda like the gpsmap 76csx. I really like the big, bright screen on the H2O but they said the garmin would be faster and more accurate,(not that the H2O probably isnt better than what I had anyway) and it will take my mapsource maps that I already have on my computer now, saving me some dough. I guess that I have gotten too acustomed to having the detailed topo maps too go without. Im still on the limb about what to use but its good to hear from people who have used them.

Deadeye,

Try following the advance tips:

Quote:
Advanced Search Tips

Use +keyword for required keywords.

Use -keyword to exclude posts with a keyword.

Use quotes around a phrase to search for a phrase.

Use a * at the end of the word to match partial words.

I put in H2O* and get last 120 post's that has H2O in it. If you want to narrow it down some, go into the Advanced Search and cut down the time.

Good luck!

deadeye I to am looking for nice hand held and have done a little research on them and the Garmin 76 series I like also. One thing to keep in mind with the 76 csx is that it has a an electronic compass and I guess it takes some juice from the batteries. The only difference from the electronic compass and the gps compass is you don't have to be moving with electronic compass tp point the way. The 76cx is the one that has the gps compass, The only differance between the 2

Check out pro fishing supply he has the H20 and the garmin listed and with descriptions

but they said the garmin would be faster and more accurate

I think Garmin makes a great GPS, overall probably the best gps. Great receivers and great processors, so maybe a bit faster and more accurate. But I think the differences would be minor at the most, probably not even noticable in day to day hunting situations. I just mention this out because I wouldn't put any weight on a sales pitch about "faster and more accurate". To put it another way, I wouldn't let that statement alone steer you away from a Lowrance unit if you like them better.

Originally Posted By: deadeye
but they said the garmin would be faster and more accurate

I think Garmin makes a great GPS, overall probably the best gps. Great receivers and great processors, so maybe a bit faster and more accurate. But I think the differences would be minor at the most, probably not even noticable in day to day hunting situations. I just mention this out because I wouldn't put any weight on a sales pitch about "faster and more accurate". To put it another way, I wouldn't let that statement alone steer you away from a Lowrance unit if you like them better.

I agree 100%... The quality and performance are second to none!

Couple questions...

Does the Lakemaster chip work in a Garmin?

After creating waypoints on a Garmin can you easily transfer them to a Lowrance GPS unit?

I wouldn't have any qualms about switching to a Garmin as I know they make good GPS handhelds, but if they won't run a lake chip and/or I can't easily transfer waypoints to the Lowrance units in my boat it'd be a tough switch to make from the H2O.

Does the Lakemaster chip work in a Garmin?

Garmin has chips with LakeMaster maps which work in some of the Garmin units. The chip is proprietary to Garmin and will only work in Garmin units, it won't work in Lowrance etc. and the chip that works in your Lowrance won't work in a Garmin.

All of the Garmin gps (either handheld or permanent mount) that I sell at Pro Fishing Supply will take the Garmin LakeMaster chip. And I have the Garmin LM chips available too.

Well I bit the bullet and got one today. I ended up getting the Lowrance H2Oc. I know that either one (garmin or lowrance) would work great but I did more digging and the chick at cabelas was wrong about the lowrance, I guess it is a 16 channel vs. 12 channel in the garmin. It also has dual processors and from the little that I have played with it, it makes it look like its going at light speed compared to my Etrex Vista. The screen is also much bigger and easier to see.

I was thinking about it and with the money I saved, I can get the lakemaster chip and mapcreate and be ahead of where I would be with the garmin.

It doesn't have a electronic compass in it which is fine by me since I never once used the one on my Vista. I always carry a silva ranger with me as backup anyway. I figured if I actually needed the gps to get me out trouble the thing would run out of batteries or something. I think taking a compass and knowing how to use it is crucial to being safe out there. I didn't have a gps until 2005 and I got around just fine without. It just took more brainwork on my part.

Anyway, thanks for the advice!!!

Has anyone used a Magellan? I was looking at a Triton 300 model. It looks like they also have lake map software with a ton of MN lakes as well as other surrounding states.

I have a gift card for wally world and that is why I am looking at this model. It is only $140 bucks there. Pretty cheap for a color screen hand held.

Opinions on this manufacturer please!!!! I am seriously in need of a unit and would like to know if this brand is any good.

Thanks.

-Chris

Ya I looked at the colorado and the oregon. I really liked the colorado, but the last 2 cars I bought costed less than that gps. I did't really think the touch screen on the oregon was so hot, but to the right person it would work great. I got fat fingers for that kind of stuff, especially when ice fishing. Really awesome detail in the colorado, but spendy.

I got the lakemaster chip for my H2O tonight and it seems to be pretty sweet. i will see when i hit the water how accurate it is, but it looks good. There is pretty good street detail with that chip too. I wasn't expecting that and it was a kinda nice suprise to see my street on the map. Plus, up by mille lacs, the trails I like to walk for grouse were on there too. I have to say it was worth the benjamin for sure.

I don't know if you have looked at the Garmin 60 CSx or not, but I purchased it last year around this time and it is the best GPS I have ever owned. It has a good size color screen and can get very detailed. The 60 CSx has a removable internal expandable memory card slot so you can load all kinds of various maps.

I have used it in my car, camping, hiking, and used it overseas for military uses and I have never had problems with it. The reciever is strong and sesative and brings me to within just a few feet of my actual position. I recommend checking it out, you might be impressed with it.

Garmin's are good, Ive had one for a while and it has been through alot, Including foating down a river overnight. I've heard Garmins are a little more user friendly than the Lowrance. But lowrance does make good products. It's kind of one of those personal preference deals similar to cars, Guns, bows, ice augers, boats, depthfinders, flashers, whatever. There are ones that may be more durable,more user friendly, more precise, but it all comes down to what your using it for, price, and most of all, how well you like it.

Another top pick for me was the 530HCx, I have had one for a couple years now and love it. For a number of reasons I would recommend you look at the Garmin Rino 530 HCx.

You gain accurate GPS mapping, chip capability's, FRS/GMRS radio and radio/GPS tracking of up to 50 other Rino users at the same time. I use mine year around and it is a great tool for me as a guide on land, and on the water. The unit is very easy to use. On a sled, I would go with the RAM/Garmin dash mount instead of the handle bar mount to reduce vibration, a very secure mount.

As a handy add on you may wish to add the head set VOX hands free mic. Allows for quiet, semi-private, hands-free communication. Speak and listen without holding the radio. Cuts down on background interference in noisy environments. Features external voice activation (VOX). For use with the GARMIN Rino series.

Know exactly where you are at all times with Rino 530HCx and the precision of high-sensitivity GPS. This waterproof FRS/GMRS radio plus GPS navigator adds a barometric altimeter, electronic compass and NOAA weather radio in addition to the popular features of the Rino 520HCx — 5 watts of transmit power, a microSD card slot, brilliant color display and a high-sensitivity GPS receiver — so you’ll never be lost again.

Pinpoint Your Position: With its high-sensitivity GPS receiver, Rino 530HCx locates your position quickly and precisely and maintains its GPS location even in heavy cover and deep canyons. The advantage is clear — whether you’re in deep woods or just near tall buildings and trees, you can count on Rino 530HCx to help you find your way when you need it the most.

Find Your Friends: Like the rest of the Rino series, Rino 530HCx offers a unique Position Reporting feature. Position Reporting lets you send your exact location to other Rino users in your group so that everyone can see your position on the map page. And, because Rino is a standard FRS/GMRS radio, you can use it to communicate with any other conventional FRS/GMRS radio around.

Transmit with Power: The Rino 530HCx boasts a whopping 5 watts of transmit power (GMRS), which lets you contact others from up to 14 miles away (line of sight). In Canada, you can transmit at 2 watts over GMRS with a range of up to 8 miles.

Other Rino 530HCx features:

* Barometric altimeter pinpoints your precise elevation.

* Electronic compass tells you what direction you’re headed, even when you're standing still.

* Bold color TFT display makes it easy to see and navigate to family or friends at an amusement park, lake or other outdoor group activity.

* microSD™ card slot accepts preloaded MapSource® data cards with detailed maps.

* Automatic routing and turn-by-turn directions with alert tones let you find an address or point of interest and drive there (with optional MapSource map data).

* Rechargeable lithium-ion battery provides up to 14 hours of outdoor use.

I hope this is useful to you.

One thing I found is I hate any GPS with the buttons on the side. I had a old #$%^@&* gps and it was ok but the buttons on the side were hard to use. I want to see the buttons I have to push and still be able to see the screen. Especially when mounted on the boat or snowmobile.

I would agree. Since most GPS units do pretty much the same thing. Pick the one that fits you the best and has a good "ease of use". You'll be happy with your choice when it's cold and dark and your not searching for buttons or scrolling through menus.