• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

full moon raps?

Dahitman44

For fall trolling I am much more interested in water temperature than I am in moon phase. I like fishing under the full moon but have had just as good or better success under all the other moon phases too. I think it's a mistake to let the moon phase factor too much into your planning.

Certain lures seem to "shine" during that full moon phase. The more moon you have the more that lures with flash rise to the top. During this time I'll be using chromes, mylar prism tape and white sided baits. During new moon or very cloud conditions the darker baits seem to do better. Perch, Gold, bluegill, crawfish and orange baits. As far as location goes it usually doesn't change based on moon phase. Fish can be on the deep weed edge, up on top of rock reefs on right up on the shoreline. They can be anywhere in between.

Don't be afraid to go against convention when the bite is tough. Dark bait during fullmoon and bright ones during new moon have at times been the ticket.

I will admit that at times fish seem to turm on when the moon pops out from behind the clouds. But I've hammered them on those very dark nights as well.

Good Luck!

If you're asking about colors, I agree with Borch. Chromes and bright reflective baits when there's a lot of moonlight, and dark baits when it's a dark night, are the general rules I follow. Firetiger can be good at all times. I change colors a lot at night, especially if conditions change like the moon rises, or goes behind the clouds, or the waves pick up or die down, etc.

If you're asking about water temps, I like it to be below 60 degrees and 55 is even better. When you're in that 45 - 50 degree range is should be game on big time. Trolling is productive all the way to ice up, just as it gets colder you generally want to go slower and slower, and use bigger baits. I usually put the shad baits away around 55 degrees and go with big stick baits like husky jeerks and rogues.