• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Merc Trim Motor Question

propster

Hey guys, anybody know if the starter motor on a 150 Merc 2-stroke depends on the power of the main battery? I mean I know that's where the power comes from, but even when I've run the electric trolling motor alot and run the deep cycles down, I've never had the trim motor be affected until tonight. I tried to trim it up and down and it sounded weak and was barely moving. Lights, bilge, etc work fine. I've plugged it in and I'll see what happens tomorrow, just curious if that's all it is. Also, the shaft on the starter that spins up and engages the flywheel is sticking, so it won't turn over. Last time I had it in for service I had them check it and he took it out, said it was a little rusted/corroded. He cleaned it up and lubed it and it worked until Sat night. Tonight I sprayed WD40 on it and it's working again, but what's the permanent fix? New shaft or whole new starter? Thanks in advance.

Hey Keith,

Check the water level in the battery, and it is the main starting battery, nothing to do with the trolling. Also, if you have just been idling around fishing on no wake lakes, without running for distances, that can make a battery go weak too. Ours is efi and takes more juice than yours, but same thing will happen. Also it is getting a bit colder, which makes the battery weaker. Not much, but take it all into consideration and it will affect the motor like you mentioned. I actually just had to add water to my truck battery on last Friday.

I bet its low water... just add some distilled (or any water for that matter, it all works...) to just cover the plates and charge it back up and you will be good to go. Don't forget to charge the batteries a couple or few times over the winter as well, and they stay strong and last longer. Don't let them freeze whatever you do.

Good luck, go get some pigs smile

if it's not the battery... it could be your trim motor. at least that's how mine was acting on my 135 merc before it tanked. also maybe your alternator is going bad? clean connections on the battery, check your grounds. as far as the starter... moisture would be my bet because of the WD/40 making it work, it's a lube and a moisture displacer. probly letting moisture in and corroding it, brushes and such. anyway good luck... grease the boat up lately? maybe the trim motor is just working too hard

The first thing I would check is the battery as well. Both the trim and starter are giving you some trouble and since they both draw from the same source, it's a good place to start. Grounds, connetions, load test the battery.