• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

woodcock reports

If you're from the Metro and you drove to Bemidji you bypassed a ton of good woodcock hunting. The Aitkin/Mcgregor/Mille Lacs/Mora area is loaded with 'em...

We had a decent number of locals hanging around Bemidji and the surrounding areas on opener, but they're long gone, and I haven't been seeing any migrators yet. I thought we were going to be in full swing by now, but we're well behind.

Definetly piles around mcgregor/ aitkin at the right time,it depends on the influx of migration. I see most of mine driving dirt roads w/ mud puddles at dusk.If you drive down some dirt roads and hunt grouse til just about dark, you will see them flying around or in the puddles on your way out if they are around, too late to hunt but good way to check for numbers.

redhooks

Yeah, that's true, but I had to get up to my old grouse haunts by Bemidji...I think you're right that the migrators are a little behind.

My cousin has a cabin on Big Sandy so I was thinking abotu skipping the duck opener and try around there this weekend...ah, so many options so little time. I'd just like to get my little 1 year old pup on a bunch of wild birds and woodcock are great for pointing dogs so I just might have to do it.

I got up 8 birds and had 3 points at a small spot just 45 min W of Minneapolis last night. I didn't bag any as the only shots I had were difficult. I also saw lots of birds up NE of Mora on grouse opener and bagged one bird on Woodcock opener. On grouse opener the last two years you could pass shoot them just before dark. I LOVE those little birds.

The dog HAD A BLAST LAST NIGHT!!!!

I hate woodcock!

Was out bear hunting last year - walking in pitch blackness back to the shack along a trail. Every 10 yards or so one would get up when I almost stepped on them.

First time [PoorWordUsage] near P!ssed my pants.

Uplander, you have a setter, right? I bought Clyde(ryman setter) last fall and think I chatted with you and 2thepoint a little on fm.

I'm leaning to heading up that way this weekend. Maybe around Mora but I was even thinking about heading up around Big Sandy.