• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

A mushroom

Nice image, LeeKen. They are called bishop's caps or shaggy manes. We just gathered a bunch on Sunday and sauteed them in some red wine and butter and drizzled the blend over medium-rare New York strips.

Ahhhhhhhhh, that's some good eatin!

That one is just past prime for eating. They're best when the caps are still tight on the bottom against the stalk and not black.

If I'm still alive two days after eating them, I know what I was eating. smilesmile

Too funny!!!! laughlaugh

By the way, thanks for the info Steve, these no so little shrooms are popping up all over the place up here at this time!

Andre` are you reading this post?! wink

Stu, it's one of only two mushrooms I can say with authority are edible. We only pick shaggy manes and morels. There are some wonderfully edible shrooms out there, but so many of them have deadly lookalikes that we don't have the guts to experiment.

Sorry for the off-topic, LeeKen, on your nice image.

Steve, thanks to your first response, my wife is sending me on a shaggy mane mission.

Well if I'm being forced to spend time in the field, I guess I'll go. Thanks for the info. I'll let you know how the dinner goes.

A "Shaggy Mane Virgin"

Nice image Lee!.....Steve certainly is right on the Shaggy Mane.....It's one of those mushrooms that doesn't have a "lookalike" in the poisonous category....lot of others do!....They are linked to the "inky cap" family and turn black and "melt" on maturing...I picked grocery bags of shaggy manes in my younger years and they certainly are for some great eating!...I chose to pick them just breaking through the soil at the "button" stage...large ones are good to however...Some believe it's one of the best tasting!...I think so too!...great sliced and fried in butter along with onions and the juices from a nice sirloin! grin

Here is the same shaggy mane, one day later. It has a little brother, which became an addition to dinner. Very tasty!

I brought a small container to carry out the booty, but I ended up using my hat for the bounty.

You can learn something everyday on this forum.

Thanks everyone.

shroom2.jpg

Ahhh, that little brother was prime for picking!

Mushroom containers should be mesh of some type, not plastic bags, just as an FYI. Putting shrooms in plastic grocery bags will degrade them in a matter of hours, sometimes minutes, while mesh bags allow air to circulate and keep them fresh. Not to mention, the spores in the picked mushrooms can be released from mesh, but not through plastic, and this year's spores produce next year's mushrooms.

We put those shaggy manes we picked Sunday in my baseball hat to carry home. Guess a Twins cap is good for only one thing now. frownfrown

LeeKen, that's a nice image showing the old and the new. grin