Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

• Announcements

• Rick

Members Only Fluid Forum View   08/08/2017

Fluid forum view allows members only to get right to the meat of this community; the topics. You can toggle between your preferred forum view just below to the left on the main forum entrance. You will see three icons. Try them out and see what you prefer.   Fluid view allows you, if you are a signed up member, to see the newest topic posts in either all forums (select none or all) or in just your favorite forums (select the ones you want to see when you come to Fishing Minnesota). It keeps and in real time with respect to Topic posts and lets YOU SELECT YOUR FAVORITE FORUMS. It can make things fun and easy. This is especially true for less experienced visitors raised on social media. If you, as a members want more specific topics, you can even select a single forum to view. Let us take a look at fluid view in action. We will then break it down and explain how it works in more detail.   The video shows the topic list and the forum filter box. As you can see, it is easy to change the topic list by changing the selected forums. This view replaces the traditional list of categories and forums.   Of course, members only can change the view to better suit your way of browsing.   You will notice a “grid” option. We have moved the grid forum theme setting into the main forum settings. This makes it an option for members only to choose. This screenshot also shows the removal of the forum breadcrumb in fluid view mode. Fluid view remembers your last forum selection so you don’t lose your place when you go back to the listing. The benefit of this feature is easy to see. It removes a potential barrier of entry for members only. It puts the spotlight on topics themselves, and not the hierarchical forum structure. You as a member will enjoy viewing many forums at once and switching between them without leaving the page. We hope that fluid view, the new functionality is an asset that you enjoy .
Sign in to follow this  
LeeKen

A mushroom

I took a walk looking for some fall colors. It seems to be spotty in the Detroit Lakes area. The only picture I liked was this mushroom.

shroom.jpg

Nice image, LeeKen. They are called bishop's caps or shaggy manes. We just gathered a bunch on Sunday and sauteed them in some red wine and butter and drizzled the blend over medium-rare New York strips.

Ahhhhhhhhh, that's some good eatin!

That one is just past prime for eating. They're best when the caps are still tight on the bottom against the stalk and not black.

If I'm still alive two days after eating them, I know what I was eating. smilesmile

Too funny!!!! laughlaugh

By the way, thanks for the info Steve, these no so little shrooms are popping up all over the place up here at this time!

Andre` are you reading this post?! wink

Stu, it's one of only two mushrooms I can say with authority are edible. We only pick shaggy manes and morels. There are some wonderfully edible shrooms out there, but so many of them have deadly lookalikes that we don't have the guts to experiment.

Sorry for the off-topic, LeeKen, on your nice image.

Steve, thanks to your first response, my wife is sending me on a shaggy mane mission.

Well if I'm being forced to spend time in the field, I guess I'll go. Thanks for the info. I'll let you know how the dinner goes.

A "Shaggy Mane Virgin"

Nice image Lee!.....Steve certainly is right on the Shaggy Mane.....It's one of those mushrooms that doesn't have a "lookalike" in the poisonous category....lot of others do!....They are linked to the "inky cap" family and turn black and "melt" on maturing...I picked grocery bags of shaggy manes in my younger years and they certainly are for some great eating!...I chose to pick them just breaking through the soil at the "button" stage...large ones are good to however...Some believe it's one of the best tasting!...I think so too!...great sliced and fried in butter along with onions and the juices from a nice sirloin! grin

So what kind of mushroom is this one? Found it in north central Wisconsin (Holcombe). Lots of wind and moisture hitting that front yard. There were tons of shrooms, but this one sure stuck out of the bunch.

Mushroom_640.jpg

Here is the same shaggy mane, one day later. It has a little brother, which became an addition to dinner. Very tasty!

I brought a small container to carry out the booty, but I ended up using my hat for the bounty.

You can learn something everyday on this forum.

Thanks everyone.

shroom2.jpg

Ahhh, that little brother was prime for picking!

Mushroom containers should be mesh of some type, not plastic bags, just as an FYI. Putting shrooms in plastic grocery bags will degrade them in a matter of hours, sometimes minutes, while mesh bags allow air to circulate and keep them fresh. Not to mention, the spores in the picked mushrooms can be released from mesh, but not through plastic, and this year's spores produce next year's mushrooms.

We put those shaggy manes we picked Sunday in my baseball hat to carry home. Guess a Twins cap is good for only one thing now. frownfrown

LeeKen, that's a nice image showing the old and the new. grin

There is a post titled fall shroomin' under the hunting forum that has pics of a couple more edibles out there right now which are pretty common and easy to identify.. 10-2002.jpg