• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Question in regards to dog ownership

Jari Razskazoff

Ok, so my parents live up in the sticks with two dogs, Mauser, and Browning. Mauser is a un-neutered dominant 110lb black lab, and Browning is a smaller 80lb golden retriever. They are used to being able to run free, and are excelent hunters. Mauser is extremly dominant, and strong. Browning is quick and smart. Every once in a while, they get in to fights with each other... but couldn't live without each other, since they are aproximatly the same age of 3-4 years old and have been raised together since puppyhood.

I want to get a dog that I could bring up there, and not worry so much about the dogs fighting.

My dad says maybe I should get a Spayed female, that wouldn't be so territorial in my house when the other two dogs come to visit; but I'm afraid that they would then fight over the female dog.

Maybe I could get another male, but perhaps that would make it harder when the two dogs come visit me in my small little house in st paul.

any suggestions?

Are these 2 dogs socialized with other dogs?

Do you have any friends w/ dogs that you could set up as a "play date" to see how they react. I have 2 friends w/ male labs and my female gets along fine with them. I think the most important thing for any dog is exposure to other dogs so that they feel comfortabel with thier hierarchy, unsocialized dogs may be unpredictable.

redhooks

RH hit it on the head. Regardless of what you get, the key to avoiding these issues is socialization, socialization, socialization. Take your dog to the dog park, to the store, to soccer games...wherever you go, bring your pup and teach him/her what's acceptable behavior or not.

Bringing another male, especially if still intact, into the mix at your folks' place is more than likely gonna be trouble no matter how well socialized your dog is. A female isn't going to cause them to fight over her unless she's in heat. A female may be the easiest solution, or a 2x4 to Mauser's head when he's being a dork! smile

(joke, not advocating a 2x4 to the head...really)