• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Ideas on how to cook my tom...

I was lucky enough to harvest a nice 25.5lb tom (field dressed) this spring and I was wondering if any of you have any good recipes to share. I've always just cooked them in a roaster and I was hoping to do something a little different and fun.... and hopefully tastey. grin Thanks for any ideas. I have to please the outlaws this Thanksgiving and I'm looking to wow them.

My buddy over in Wisconsin shared his rub recipe with me a long time ago and it was deliscious to say the least.The minimum time marinating in the fridge is 24 hours....my suggestion....30 hours.Hope you enjoy it.

Turkey Rub

25 bay leaves, crushed

3 1/2 teaspoons dried thyme

3 1/2 teaspoons dried oregano

1 1/2 teaspoons freshly ground pepper

2 teaspoons garlic powder

3 tablespoons Creole seasoning

In a small bowl mix together the bay leaves, thyme, oregano, pepper, garlic powder and Creole seasoning. Rub onto a turkey and refrigerate for at least 24 hours before frying.If you like garlic...add a bit more with a pinch of salt.

Deep fry it like you normally do.I even like this on chicken!

There are alot of good brines you can soak the bird in the day before you cook it. They usually include something to add sugar to the bird. Dr. Pepper is one ingredient I have seen used. I don't have any recipes off the top of my head but I am sure you can do a [YouNeedAuthorization] search for some.

My mom has special 5 gallon turkey bucket used just for this purpose. Don't tell her I brought it ice fishing with me once or twice.

The rub above sounds pretty good as well. I only question the bay leaves, usually when using bay leaves you remove them and do not eat them. This seems like they would be eaten.

I would probably do that rub without deep frying it though. Every deep fried bird always tastes the same to me. They seem to loose the flavor of the seasonings during the frying process. I preffer grill or just roasted in the oven.