• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Coin Flip

DTro

Can anyone confirm that this “coin flip” actually took place?

From things I’ve heard, it is done behind closed doors by the Commish. Were either managers presents? Players? Owners?

I would make a side bet that heads or tails was never even called wink

I don't know either, but a few people should have been present. They may have had the managers there, during the last couple of series, and flipped off then. People keep saying it should be by decided by the season series head to head. Not enough time to set up the tie breaker of where to play.

G.C.

Not enough time to set up?? I think that's a joke. Chi/DET didn't know they would play until Sunday afternoon-- granted, they did know the location,,, but the fan support looked bleak even thou 35,000+ was the said attendance.

In my mind, if your going to play a one game playoff,, at least play the game at the team's home who won the season series.-- in this case it's huge with said records of both teams home/away.

To be the best-- you have to deal with some setbacks outside of your control,, we'll see how the Twins do.-- the pressure in this situation I beleive is on the home team.

GO TWINS!!!!

makes sense,,, but who does that these days??? $$$ and ticket sales is the reason why. Coin flips are for Vegas,, not done in the NFL,, why MLB???

The Twins need to face trouble and win,,, just like any team come crunch time,,, they win tonight,,, watch out Tampa.

They brought this up on ESPN today. Yes, the Twins did win the season series, and it only makes sense that the game should be in the Dome. According to the show, this kind of thing has always been decided by a coin flip. By the way, the guy who called and won it got advice from his 5 yr old son of what to call. The commentators agreed it should be based on the season series record, put apparently the coin flip is tradition.

GO TWINS!!!!!!!!!!!!

Really, I don't even think a game should be played. If the black sox were to win this one game, with an unfair home field advantage, the Twins would still have the head to head record of 10-9. The season is over and only time a play-in game should be happen is if the head to head were tied. Anyways with that being said, Twins 7-sox 2.

this was brought up to me when I was making a comment that the Twins won the head to head series and the reply to me was "true but the White Sox had a better record against the rest of the league" so after I thought about it longer it stinks that we have to go to Chicago to win but at least we control our own destiny to the playoffs......we are an underdog from here on out so big deal if we start this whole thing on the road.......GO TWINS!!!

We've talked about this before and some of us have a hard time believing the Boston Red Sox actually won all THREE of their coin toss's THIS year. I liken this to the so called NBA draft and the ping pong ball method of determing the draft picks. I don't trust these people!

Yes it should be taped with witness's.

On the other hand I don't have to much of a problem with the coin toss theory there are many logistical reasons to do it this way.

I along with Barriero think it's a bit whinny to complain about this "see Barriero podcast from yesterday for more of an in-depth opinion on this".. grin

As far as being ready for the game, why wouldn't they be? 90% of all home crowds during the week live within an hour of the Dome. Sounds like a bunch of bunk to me. I stated this on another thread- the Twins won the season series, the game should be here, period.

It has nothing to do with the fans or the crowds.

You said preparation before. What preparation? Printing tickets, yep that takes about a minute. Turning the Dome into a baseball field? Yep, that takes about 5 minutes. I guess for about the millionth time Pier, you confused me. They had plenty of time since the last Sox/Twins series to announce the game would be held here.

I guess it’s a moot point now, but just wondering if there were any confirmed witnesses at this “coin flip”.

The Twins have nobody to blame other then themselves.

The point doesn't matter a whole lot now I guess, but the day of the coin flip, the Twins had a game - I believe in Baltimore. The manager wasn't present but I think Michael Cuddyer was sent to do it. I do know a representative of each team is there. One team had their fans vote heads or tails and the player that was sent chose heads (which the fans selected) for all the tosses and ended up losing all 3 flips LOL!!!!!

This was all mentioned on the Twins pregame Radio show the day they did coin flips!

The only reason we are talking about this is because we lost.

Nah, I was talking about it before the game, the game should have been held here, and I think the outcome would have been different.

Same thing with the homefield for World Series. Not sure if I am a huge fan of the All Star game thing. Sure it is great when it is your teams league that wins but you can have the scenario where a team could dominate the whole year and win near 100 games and be forced to start in a wild card teams park that won 85 games or less. Remember the year that the Padres? won with a .500 record. It would really stink to have to see them with homefield advantage just because their league won a meaningless game. Chicago teams have been really lucky with coins and ping pong balls this year! I guess I will take it....because I have to, but I can see the otherside of the coin as well (sorry for the bad pun)

Windy