• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

equipment help for ice fishing

mrpike1973

hi im just starting up ice fishing i have a clam5600 house, hand auger, 2 tip ups, mr buddy heater, ice scoop i primaraly fish pike with tip ups do i really need a fish finder or a power auger. i guess my question would be whats better power auger or fish finder and do i need ice rods if i only fish pike. anything else im missing

I would go with the power auger myself. Most guys will probably say flasher but there is something to be said about being able to drill 20-30 holes when the ice is 2 feet thick. Hand augers are great for early ice\late ice but unless you have a GPS, you'll probably be searching a lot which means drilling a lot of holes. Especially if you fish with tip-ups I dont see the need for a flasher. But either way you cant go wrong. I would also definetly get yourself set up with a rod for jiggin in the house. If youre fishing northerns make sure to use power pro or fireline on the reel, it makes big differnce, just dont hold your finger on the line when you set the hook, that line cuts fingers pretty easlily when you got a decent pike on.

What lakes do you fish mostly? If they are popular lakes like Mille Lacs, Tonka, Winnie, or whatever a IFinder GPS with the chip might do you some good. The High Def maps on the chip are unbelievably accurate and show more structure than you can imagine. So that means you'll be on the spot faster, which means drilling a lot less holes and if I only had a hand auger that is valuable time and effort. If you fish mostly small lakes it wouldnt benifit much since the map quality isnt near what it is for the bigger, more popular lakes. Other than that you seem to be good to go.

there is not a lot of need for a flasher when you only target pike with tip ups. Save your money on a flasher and buy a power auger. You will be happier and if some day you choose to fish other species you can get a flasher then.

flasher vote here, but you don't need either one. Most of the guys that have been ice fishing for years will tell you that they started out with a bucket, an old ice pole (no reel), an ice scoop, a chisel or hand auger, and a winter coat. That's all you really need. The toys are nice, they help you catch more fish, and make your life easier but I had some of my best times on the ice with out all the toys I have now.

If you are only going to fish for Pike and w/tip ups. There is really no need for a flasher if you know the lake you are fishing on. The Auger gives you the ability to drill some big holes and more holes for your tip ups. If you are going to get some rods and start jigging then maybe a flasher.

So "power" auger would be my choice. If you check the auction websites maybe you can find both for the price of one!

Get yourself a good Jiffy auger with a 9-10 bit for big pike. Then catch a monster and get the flasher and other on memo or promo since you now hold the state record pike...really its that simple. grin

Serious I would get a auger first then look into flashers.