• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

short a2a bows

rage2blade

today i was doing some researching on the internet on bows and i proceeded to read about how short axel to axel bows will not perform as good in long range distance than one of which is much longer. It also said that they are harder to consistantly shoot the same and since most have a shorter brace height they will not be as forgiving. is there alot of truth to this or is more of someones opinion? the only reason i ask is becasue im interested in the matthews DXT and that does have a very short 29.75 a2a length and a 7 inch brace height which is shorter than my last bow. I guess this got me thinking if a short a2a length made that much of a difference then why is every brand of bow consistanly getting shorter and shorter and still producing amazing bows. guess i was just intersted in the subject and was wondering what the truth was. Note that i dont care about the brand of bow this has nothing to do with it. thanks!

rage2blade,

by no means am I an expert on this but from what I have learned is that most companies are going with short a2a is for weight, and convenience for the hunter. Most bows with a shorter a2a can be harder to tune but the bows now days are very easy compared to bows of the early 90s. The longer a2a's are infact easier to tune are better for longer shoots afield. If you lived and hunted in more open country or hunted speed goats, or mulies that are typical shots a longer a2a comes into play or performs better. Again I'm sure sticknstrings or Dietz will chime in but thats what I have learned and think the reasoning for the differences.

mr

Bows have become shorter in the last few years. They are easier to move around in a tree stand for sure. Much of the shorter bows have come with parallel technology bows. It is true that a bow with a longer axel to axel will be more accurate and forgiving. Which is also true of a longer brace height. However for most hunting and shots well inside of 30 yards, the new bows of today that are shorter seem to be plenty accurate. I myself whom is also a big target archer, went with a longer bow, they feel better in my hands and I have more confidence.

Shorter bows usually have a longer power stroke, and hence faster speeds, which has much to do with the companies offering shorter bow.. they are all in the speed race at this point. Which I dont think is always a good thing.

As stated, bows of today are entirely different animals than just a short 10 years ago. That DXT will shoot smoother & faster than the majority of its predecessors. I'd still shy away from the ultra-short brace heights as they'll typically be less forgiving and warrant wrist slap - say anything under 6 1/2 - unless you're a speed guy(X-Force). I wouldn't focus on the length of the bow so much unless you're a finger shooter (short a2a would cause arrow pinch) or do a lot of hunting out of ground blinds or stalking through brush where maneuverability would be an issue. I'm 6'3" and prefer something in the 32-35" w/ a bh around 7 to 7 1/2".