• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

PFDs and SOSpenders?

cjac

So, did anyone else think about Rincrat's "swimming" post and think that maybe a PFD like the SOSpenders for example is a good idea?

If a fit 17 year old was fatigued and cold, what about the rest of us older out-of-shape guys, especially come October with much colder conditions?

I'm looking for something......just something to consider.

I have a feeling that most of the older people on here would've handled the situation differently than rincrat did.

That being said, the SOSpenders are a nice(expensive)alternative to a bulky life jacket.

My family hounds me about wearing a life jacket every time I get on the water, but it's mostly because I fish the river and spend a lot of my time close to a dam. Their points are all valid but I really just don't like to wear the thing.

And i'm not really sure what you're looking for but I just figured I'd add my two cents.

to my knowledge you have to wear these types of pfd's at all times because they dont float until activated so you wont see them in my boat, I have wore them before and they are cofurtable but it still restricts my motions so I feel restricted. great for people that have fear of falling overboard I wear my life jacket more hunting because the water can get pretty cold buit thats about it.

Quote:
I have a feeling that most of the older people on here would've handled the situation differently than rincrat did.

I probably would have got my bait as well.

My only point was to raise awareness of the effects of cold water in a situation where one is not prepared and to solicit thought of a preventative measure like a PFD or the newer alternatives like SOSpenders. Big difference between bucking it up and wading out from shore in Sept vs. an accidental water entry in October or November.

Yeah, it is always good to have a reminder for pfds as we get colder and colder water temps. They say something like 90% of water fatalities could be avoided if only the person would have been wearing a life jacket. I found out first hand in my canoe a couple weeks back on the river how vitally important a life jacket was. We were set up in front of a log jam and my lure broke off and was floating right at me so I reached to try and grab it. There was still plenty of boat out of the water but the current was strong enough there to flip us. We would have been sucked right under this deep log jam had it not been for the jackets, it was really ripping under the surface.

I know it might not be comfortable, but please do you best during these colder months to keep yourself safe.

Arctic Armor wink

Artic Armour kicks arse. Take it from a guy who had to swim about 100 yards hanging on to a floating shotgun case and half a dozen decoys with water filling my waders and pulling me down. The cold water will try to kill you. I should be as careful fishing as I am when I'm hunting.

I always wear my Sospenders - light, comfortable, and it will activate if I go for an unexpected swim. You can't swim if you're knocked out and fall in. When it gets cold and/or very wet I wear a Mustang Survival jacket. Also works nice for early season ice fishing.