• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

River of Presidents

-Marc V-

Anybody heard any word, or have any expirence on the infamous south shore river for steelhead this fall?

Possibly taking a trip up there this coming weekend, and haven't seen much about it. Looks like the flow has been spiking nicely here and there on the water flow site. Was hoping that would bring in some fish. Not sure how the unseasonably warm weather has effected things though.

Yeah Marc, when I was there the river was crystal clear and low, and I didn't even see a fish. I caught one 14" rainbow, but not a steelie.

We didn't get out on the croix with the flyrods as we discussed, but maybe next year!

That a center-pin rig 'der 'Roe? If so, what you drifting to get those buggers? I've considered getting a center-pin rig, but afraid it will see little use...

Seems like a fun way to fish though.

Whoops. Second fish did not make it back in the river. You can bet coho candy is coming home with me. I have since replaced it with a very living fish.

It is indeed a pin rig. The old spawn standby works best for me, but i also have good success with stone patterns and ESLs. One of those fish came off a stone.

Do you use fresh roe, or the bottled stuff from the sporting goods store?

If fresh roe, is there a species of fish you get it from? Coho, kings? Is it pretty easy to get your hands on fresh roe up there? How you go about doing it?

I'd probably have a tough time paying for spawn. Besides, that super cured stuff is garbage, and the fresh ones are way too expensive. I use the fresh stuff, and it goes through a top secret process that makes the eggs deathroe. Sometimes fresh loose stuff needs nothing more than a river bath.

I get the stuff from fish i catch. Right now i'm on a few jars of king eggs, but have some fresher coho stuff i eggsperimented with. I would love to come across a mid-20" brownie that's loaded. Looper eggs from the shore aren't bad. The old timers out there always say that's the best stuff. Can't say i've ever really noticed a difference.

Here's some of the stash. Disregard the pro-cure. It sucks.

270.jpg

Are you tying them up in bags Deathroe, or do you just fish the skein with an egg hook? I used eggs here and there last weekend, I guess it helps to be pinning? I mostly fished pheasant tail stones, and yarn though.

How much leader do you use on the Brule, I heard a 1.5 times the depth rule for pinning? I would like to try sometime, wondering if I can just use my 9 foot and mono w/o buying the free spool. It is hard to hold the 9 foot rod compared to a 11 or 12 foot rod. It's an intersting concept and I don't see why it wouldn't work, you might not be able to have a 50 foot drift- maybe only 15-20 with a fly reel but your still getting the presentation? I haven't had much luck in the fall, only caught fish fishing hardware and egg flies, never on stones or bugs. So it would be fun to try. Those coho skeins look dry and tight enough to fish without tying, but the question is how long they'll last with the rocks and the little bows

Just looking into some options before I get skunked for the entire fall! The only thing I haven't used is spinners and worms this year, haven't had much luck, but the next couple of weekends should be good (crossing fingers).

I'm trying this weekend, fishing all river! I'll be fishing stones and glow bugs first and we'll see what happens on Sunday!

What about you Kent, you been putting the steel to the steel?

I have only been out once and it was just as the run was starting, I got into a little steel and a few browns, but with an hour and a half drive it's tough for me to get over there now that I moved. The fact that I've been working 60 hours a week doesn't help the situation much either. I'll be on the river for a full day wed, so we'll see if I've still got the touch.

Well good luck to you on weds kent and eric?, it looks like it will be better than low and clear. Are you going to be swinging flies kent? Let me know how you do, I'm taking a half day on Friday. Fish while you can, I was in your shoes last year. Where are you living now, what are you up to?

I'm living on a small lake north of Duluth that's connected to Island Lake working full time up at Grand Superior Lodge. I've pretty busy through the summer and fall months, but have plenty of spare time in the winter months (too bad I hate the cold). Hopefully I can get into a few tommorrow, it's been way too long.

Hey Eric, give me a call in the AM and we can hook up. Otherwise look for the black jeep that's hard to miss. I'll be briefly "swinging" in the AM on my way downriver and then hope that my luck is slightly above unlucky in the afternoon. I'm sure you know where to find me, I'll be on the river around 10 am.