• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Pheasant Hunting Trip

Not sure of the Appleton area, but I can tell you the extreme SW of the state, specifically Nobles, Jackson, Cottonwood and Murray Counties have very good numbers and large amounts of public land.

When we go down to visit family and hunt roosters every year we usually start hunting near Appleton and work our way down, hitting old favorites along the way. All of my relatives live around Worthington, Luverne, Adrian, etc... so we usually do the majority of our hunting there (Nobles Co.) but we always see/shoot birds around the Appleton area as well.

The answer you seek lies within my very name.... wink

For other un-obvious relatives, I'd let you know via e-mail or PM if I could...

Looks like we're heading down to Ellsworth for opener, stay with my grandparents, Wahoo! I wasn't sure if we were making more than our usual 1-2 trips this year, but it appears we get to chase some roosters next week!

Lac qui parle has alot of public land to hunt on, but also alot of pressure. I think some areas are closed during waterfowl season also.

ac hit a vital point: pressure. Is there more pressure around Appleton/Ortonville or Luverne/Worthington?

I'd rather have fewer birds and less pressure than more birds and more hunters to deal with.

I have a farm 5-10 miles outside of Ortonville and yes there has been a TON of hunting pressure in the past 5-10 years with the numbers of birds going up and all. last year on opener we thought we would hunt some public land before hitting our private land and most the places were packed with trucks. My advice if you are to hunt this area look for the really hard walk i.e. sloughs,trees,thick brush places alot of people would look at and say "that looks terrible lets find an easier spot". I have had great succes with these kinds of tough terrain! Its a work out but for the most part you'll come out with birds.

good luck