• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Knife Sharpening...

cupper

Ok, here is a question for everyone... What is your technique for getting your hunting knife good a sharp. I consider myself to be a decent woodsman... not Davey Crockett or anything, but I can handle myself. However, I am HORRIBLE at sharpening my knife. I have tried several techinques and sharpeners but none seem to get my knife as sharp as a I like it. What do people use? How long do you sharpen? Let me know what your tricks are... I'd really appreciate any help you can offer.

thanks!

I'll second the Gatco style sharpener. Easily repeatable angles, which I feel is the key.

America's test kitchen did a review on the electric sharpeners, and the chef's choice (top end model) came out best. I've got a cheaper hand me down electric (also chef's choice) that we sometimes use while butchering deer. Nice temporarily, but won't get you near the sharpness or durability of the Gatco system.

Joel

The Redi-Edge is an easy to use carbide sharpener.Yes, it does remove some blade, but will get you a good edge fast. Touch up is easy. Use only LIGHT down pressure and the carbides will not chip. You can get the handle or P-38 version to carry on key ring.

I really like my Chef's Choice electric sharpener!!! I used to have the dullest kitchen knives around and now in five minutes I can sharpen them all. I also use it on my hunting and fillet knives, works good and its fast. I'm sure the right hand sharpener and technique is better, but my time is worth money and my knives come out pretty darn sharp!

If I need a touch up I just use a crock stick. I love that thing. If I have a really dull knife I use my adjustable knife system that I got at GM. Can not remeber the name but you just use three types of hones on it and then touch it up with a the crock stick as needed. This system makes it really hold a edge and even a dumb guy like me can use it. I sharpen all the hunting knives now. I will try to find a name on it for you.

Froggy

I prefer to keep all my knives sharp by hand using a wet stone.

About a 10 degree angle for my hunting knives and a little flatter for filet knives. Too flat on the hunting knives and I learned the hard way about how the edge can chip out on bone.

Bob

Hey BigLake... I have a similar system from Gander (Smith's I believe). I like that the angles are repeatable, but it almost seems to me that as I use the stones for polishing and finishing, it makes the knife less sharpe.

How long/How many strokes to you do on each side with each different stone?

I've tried a few different ways of sharpening my knives but have never found a way to get them to the sharpness I liked either. I found a place in mankato last year during school that does proffesional sharpening. I brought my knives in figuring it was going to cost me, but it only ended up being at most 3 dollars per knife for my largets fillet knife! Heck of a deal for me!

I have a ton of knife sharpening equiptment, but the one that I turn to for most of my sharpening is the AccuSharp. It is a carbide outfit, but it consistently leaves a razor sharp edge with minimal material stripped off. I use this for kitchen and filet knives. Plus it is under $10.

For my hunting knives and tools (hatchet, axe, etc) nothing beats an assortment of stones, a lawn chair, and a campfire.