• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Shotgun Shell Deals

Wondering if anyone has found a decent price on shotgun shells recently? Fleet Farm had 3" Rem. on sale for 9.99, but that was before early goose season. I haven't seen a deal like that since. I was wondering if anyone bought any shells lately? And how much did you pay for them? Any info will be helpful.

Thanks

Not "hard up on cash" with the price of gas going up, and everything else for that matter, It's just my pet peave to spend more than I have to on Shells. Plus, the price has nearly doubled in the past year or two, that hurts! For the most part they shoot the same. Have had some problems with Winchestor's jamming, but only happens about once or twice a box.

Dan, Sorry to hear you waste money on your shells smile You must have plenty or must not have any in the stock market?? Or you don't hunt as much as I do. I usually go through at least a case a year. If I save 5 bucks a box, that 50 bucks for a 60 day season. About 25 bucks a month. Thats my cell phone bill or my cable bill. Just trying to cut useless expenses!

PS: Thanks for the responses. I found 3" federals and winchestors at Joe's for 9.99. Many places I called have NO steel shot on sale right now.

I just stick with what works I prolly hunt 40 days out of the and last year I know i did not shoot more than a hunddred times myself, and I bagged 88 ducks trust me I'm not wasting monney on shells I hunt with three guys normally and they can vouch that I am a really good shot. last year I brought home 78 ducks and our total bag was 107 and that doesnt include early goose or regular season goose numbers they dont get out as much as I do and thier numbers show we prolly buy about ten boxes of shells a year and make our shoots count as good as possible. oh and for the record our total take home was 107 ducks and 56 geese. sorry if I ruffed your feathers but just sayin I aint wasting money.

I am with dan on this one. They have studies showing that some steel shot (mostly cheaper ammo) dont have consistent pellets (shape/size) in their shells which cause bad patterns. I personally believe in the amount of time and money I put into hunting why not have quality shells. I just paid $380 on two cases of Winch. supremes and have had best luck with them with my gun. Whats the price differnce between someone shooting 3 shots with cheap ammo and a person shooting 1 shot with good/expensive ammo....probably none. I am not saying I only shoot once per bird (I know I just jynxed myself there) but I can personally tell a difference in cheap and expensive ammo.

sorry if I ruffed your feathers but just sayin I aint wasting money.

Then why did you answer the question???

I for one, look for a deal on the shells I like to use. Unfortunately, that is usually post-season. But, unless Dan tells us otherwise, they generally don't go bad sitting on the shelf at home. smile

buy whatever the heck you want! Seriously it turns to a debat about shells and how a guy is just trying to save a buck, really are we in high school? If a guy wants to save a buck or two so he can buy other hunting equipment, and yes you can save money on even those expensive shells. My geuss is that the guys hat need the really expesive stuff are probably are around mid twenties. Boys men have been killing ducks for along time with 2 3/4" steel. The only reason one would need the more expesive shells is to make up for your poor shooting. Seriously if you dont want to help someone out then just don't reply and move on to the next topic. Just my 2cents! Happy Hunting smirk

I shoot 2 and 3/4 inch reminton or winchester and love it I figure that way I let the ducks get closer and its more fun when they decoy in from a being a dot in the sky to right in your face. I'm always looking for a good deal in 2 and 3/4 inch shells let me know. good luck this weekend everyone be safe give eachother room to enjoy it all.

I for one like to spend as much as I can for shells. Take last year for instance - I waited until the week before opening duck season for my local Gander Mountain to restock their shelves with the loads I was looking for. I finally got fed up waiting and jumped in the car and headed down I-35 to Sportman's Warehouse and Cabela's where I picked up some 3" 20-gauge bismuth for my son's 1st year of duck hunting. Figuring in gas money and the price of bismuth, I reckon I spent around $5.00 a shell.

This year I bought my son some tungsten matrix at a local gun store - cut my price significantly over last year - only spending about $3.00 per shell (kind a glad he is shooting a single shot).

For those that have them, check out L&M Fleet Supply Stores for reasonable prices on steel shot.

I picked up Federal speed shock 3in. at Fleet Farm today. (9.99) per box. I buy the cheepest ammo I can because I have duck hunted more years than most of the posters on this site are old. I don't and can't get used to the word prolly and I would not attempt to shoot a duck I could not kill clean. That does not mean I don't miss. That is why I enjoy duck hunting so much. It just means I hate cripples and I have very few. I don't blame it on the shells, I blame it on the fact that those buggers always turn the way they are not supposed to. grin Only a few more days to go! Good luck everyone. (These shells are for shot 30 yrds and in.)

If the guy wants to ask around for a deal on ammo, I see absolutely no problem with that. I was also looking around for a deal on shells when lead shot prices doubled. There isn't a shell out there that won't kill a duck with a good shot at a decent range. IMO if you just "HAVE TO" shoot the latest hyped up shell like the Black Cloud or the $1354.25 per box of 10 Heavyshot then you are either not a very good shot or are unable to judge distances effectively.

Just curious Dan are you one of those guys that yells "I SHOT THAT ONE" every time a duck falls? People sure love to hunt with that type of guy.....Sure wouldn't want to see what happens when a banded bird is shot in your hunting party...

There isn't a shell out there that won't kill a duck with a good shot at a decent range. IMO if you just "HAVE TO" shoot the latest hyped up shell like the Black Cloud or the $1354.25 per box of 10 Heavyshot then you are either not a very good shot or are unable to judge distances effectively.

All I'll say about that genius statement is that there are shells out there that are vastly superior to others. I've been hunting since the "lead days" and I've shot pretty much all of them.

I would say most of my shots are in the 20 yard range and less. There is one brand of "bargin" steel, that I bought a case of and tried a few years ago, that resulted in almost every bird hitting the water very much alive or, flying off some distance and falling down. I've still got most of that case sitting in the garage.

It may be that the stuff just doesn't pattern out of my guns..., or what ever. All I know, is it doesn't work for me(it didn't work for anyone else I know either...). There are some steel brands that work well out of my guns, and then there's the "HD" stuff.

I've patterned alot of shells, and shot alot of ducks. Call it confidence, just better patterning, superior ballistics, or whatever, but out of my guns, with me behind the buttplate, the HD is deadly. I found a bunch of Kent TM on close out a few years ago and bought a pile of it. Gonna cry when it's gone, because it's gotten insane price wise. You can pick up the Rem Wingmaster HD for a halfway decent price with the rebates and other deals. Though I don't like it as much as the Kent, it works very well also. I shoot some HV steel loads too, but I find more cripple with it, but it generaly gets the job done, but I seem to shoot more shells.

I don't know about Dan, but I'm confident enough to know what I shot. I've hunted with guys that have killed everything that's come into the decoys. I find it rather funny.

I stick with the XPERT, decent stuff for the price. I have tried to expensive heavyshot before and even got talked into buying 2 boxes of black cloud. The heavyshot was pretty darn good stuff, but it is hard to justify $3.00 per shot. Black Cloud will do the trick if you like "skybusting". If you shoot a decoying bird less than 30YDS away with Black Cloud it absolutely destroys the bird. A guy in our hunting party is bringing 3 1/2" Black Cloud for opener (we hunt small potholes) probably not the best shot for this situation, he will be the one yelling "I shot that one"