• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Slow Rolling Spinners

74mph

Ive read alot of posts about guys slow rolling large bucktails like cowgirls, ect. and having great success. I am interested in how slow is slow. One good way to explain might be how deep you think the bait is at when you are "slow rolling".

I think I typicaly feel rushed and dont go slow enough. But how slow is slow? What works?

slow is as slow as you can go while knowing the spinners are still spinning and your line is not slack, probably a term that's a little overused and varies from bait to bait. i estimate slow rolling the dcg will get it down 7-10 feet. a couple of short casts by the boat in the daylight will usually help you set the pace.

like esox said - a reel like the curado or corvalus, small profile, higher/normal gear ratio will really help you out on this, no need for a big reel if you're not burning anything.

When I "slow roll" my bucktails, I like to reel them slow enough so that they just keep in contact with the tops of the submerged vegatation. Get snagged up once in a while, but once you get the feel, you can work them pretty well. Actually picked up this trick from watching Brad Hoppe's video. They do it and talk about it while they are doing the night fishing segment on Mille Lacs.

Hiya -

I hate to plug my own magazine this blatantly, but it's relevant in this case: go find the fall issue of Esox Angler and read the article on slow rolling by Jack Burns. He, and our late friend Don Bownik, were the masters at slow rolling in late fall. They used to clobber fish in the fall from turnover through ice-up slow rolling.

When I slow roll it's almost always with a spinnerbait - a heavy Rad Dog, Shumway's Funky Chicken, some of my old M&G Lunkers, a Cobra Viper from Bait Rigs...something along those lines. Almost always a single spin. Depending on the spot and the cover I may get my bait down 10 to 15 feet, and I've caught fish on the bottom in nearly 20 feet on spinnerbaits. More common though is 8 to 12 feet down. Speed is usually just enough to keep the blade kicking over, especially when the water gets cold.

What's amazing when you do this is how subtle some of the hits are. Often just a thump, or you feel the blade stop (which is why I prefer blades I can really feel at slow speeds, like #8 or #9 Colorados.) Sometimes feels almost like a walleye hitting. Come to think of it, sometimes it IS a walleye - caught some BIG walleyes in the fall slow rolling muskie spinnerbaits smile

Cheers,

Rob Kimm

This is an example where RK's experience comes thru in the subtle things.

He mentions single blades; if you have tandem spinnerbaits, simply cut off the clevis on the 2nd blade and you have a single blade bait. The beads left on the wire don't matter. One trip to Thorne to pick up a few of the bigger Colorado blades and you have the bait he mentions. Pick up a couple different sizes and colors and you have the ability to modify your bait to fit the situation, as in weed depth, water temp, clarity, etc.

Hope you don't mind me adding on Rob......

Thanks Everyone! This makes great sence to me and Ill be putting it into action this weekend. I actually just started fishing with a 300 series for Musky and I love it.

I realy do need to start reading Essox angler, it sounds like the solution to alot of my questions. Great Post!

hey 74mph i live in andover also do you usally fish solo i am always looking for more people to fish with i fish solo about 10% of the time but 2 people are better than one- more ideals- more area covered-etc

Hey Musky44 my email is [email protected]. Catch me on there and we can talk about getting out sometime. I know my free time is limited for the end of the season here but something might work out. I am new to the area and it would be nice to know a fellow fisherman that lives somewhat close by. Thanks

A

What's the advantage of single blade vs. double? I fish both and really haven't seen a difference.

Hiya -

Single spins to me are just a little more versatile. You can run them a little deeper at a wider speed range, they flutter better without fouling so you can count them down before you start the retrieve, and for slow rolling, they thump a little more than a tandem, especially when you use a big #8 or #9 Colorado.

Either can work, but I guess I find myself reaching for a single spin about 85% of the time...

Cheers,

Rob Kimm