• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

GRIZ!

sweet about somes up that whole deal! my dad, brothers, and I usually go to wyoming elk hunting, and we hunt in zone 78, around moran junction, and we are required to carry readily accessible bear pepper spray in that zone because of grizzly. one morning, my brother and I were walking and glassing a riverbottom, snake river to be exact, which is zone 75 i believe, but cow tags are allowed there, and we saw a griz and 3 cubs 100 yards below us chowing on an elk she had caught. the next morning, we were about 3/4 to 1 mile south of there, and a griz and her 3 cubs came out about 1/2 mile north of us. first, she was cool and calm, as we watched through the nockers, then, she saw us, and came right at us full tilt, cubs right behind her! we grabbed our packs and rifles, and took off as fast as we could! it seemed like an eternity, like my feet were moving in slow motion, as they closed the distance. my brother, younger and faster was about to take a bullet in the leg from me, so she didn't snag me first! grinsick I about pooed myself when i turned around to see her standing on her hind legs, cubs as well, at no further than 50-75 yards from us. then she got down on all fours and sniffed the ground where he had stood, and walked down to the next shelf below. we stood there and watched for a while, trying to make sense of what just happened without saying a single word to each other. then my brother asked, "is that considered gettin chased by a griz?" I said i think thats as close as it gets, doesn't it! turns out we were standing 20 yards or so from an elk she had downed the night before, and just didn't want us there. I still don't remember huffing and puffing a single breath during the ordeal, but i do know I've never been so scared in my life!! makes for an excellent story that doesn't get old at huntin camp. however, i'd love to hunt a griz, but man, i think i'd buy the biggest gun made for that hunt! by the way, we later spoke to a ranger, and he had been following them 4 griz out of upper yellowstone for a few months, and figured the sow was 550 lbs, and each cub a 2 1/2 year old, their last year with ma, weighed about 250 lbs. he said smaller game, like us, is what ma would have had the kids practice hunting on! I would have fired every round but 1 of the 7mm, at them to defend my self, then wonder if that last round should be used their prey crycry as a last resort. congrats by the way!

Actually it was her idea to bring it in the house. At first it was going in the shop, but when she saw it with the base and everything, she decided it was too nice for out there. For those wondering about the pose, when we stalking the bear another griz got close and they started roaring at each other. That is a sound I will never forget and I wanted the mount to look like he is roaring. Also the vegetation has the blue berries the bear were feeding on.