• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Don't overpay for manta's

setterguy

Took this little blurb off another muskie site...I've checked on it and it is true.

Hi:

I just spoke with Paul Meshak, who has purchased the former River Run Tackle Co., and he said he's in the process of gearing up production of the River Run line. This includes the popular Manta, which has been commanding a pretty high price on HSOList and other Internet sites.

Right now Mantas are available at Kurt's Island Sports Center in Minocqua, 715-356-4797. I just made a quick call and confirmed they have them in stock.

Steve Heiting

Quote:
Hopefully they improve the hooksetting ability on them. I have never held anything on mine.

you may want to try puting a VMC SURE SET on the back. both if you want but at least the back. weight is important so the same size is important... just a thought.

One thing to try is working it slower. Granted, I have know idea how fast any of you work your manta's, but I work mine slower than most and have experienced a fairly good hooking percentage. Nothing like a bucktail percentage, plenty of swings and misses, but I use the original hooks and have put a few in the boat with it.

Muskies tend to shake the best of baits. I have had multiple chances at big fish on the super beleavers and lost em, but yet i have caught large numbers of fish on theese baits aswell. Maybe try a hook sharpener or even replacing hooks after awhile they tend to rust, bend, barbs fall off etc.

Thanks for the info on Manta's. I wanted to pick up a couple.

Seems like the fish like to eat em', but I can't keep them hooked. I was wondering if it was the weight? You can feel them shaking their head, then their gone.

I also find it a challenge figure eighting a manta when you have one of those slow follows.

Don't necessarily believe everything you hear. The guys at Thorne Brothers tell me that they have not heard of them coming out again. He heard of the new owners that own the rights to the bait, but not that the lure is being reproduced again. The owner told me that he would likely be one of the first to know of this, if it were true. We will see...

I said do not NECESSARILY believe this. And, I wouldn't exactly call the folks at TB "schmucks". Personally, I am not necessarily believing it either way yet. I'll wait to see one in person. Not that it's a big deal either way... I like using my Phantoms just fine...

I own a number of Mantas of every kind. I have caught fish on most of them. I always change out the original hooks to a longer shank wide gap. The hook up persentage went way up after this modification.

Any larger heavy bait can get thrown by the fish. It gives them alot of leverage when they shake their head.

It's just something you have to deal with. You will lose fewer fish on these baits if you keep the rtod tip low, or even in the water.

Keep the presure from the side instead of from above and you'll have better success getting fish to the boat with a Manta. smile

"Ace"

Happy Holidays!

That's probably true JRedic, So whats the secret to getting them to hit a Manta?? My Manta's have no belly roll or anything. Just the side to side garbage. I like to play cat and mouse and make them eat a bait. Any pointers???

I fish them over weeds usually. I try to tick the tops of the weeds and rip them away. Also, get creative with your retrieve. Long-long-long-short-short-long-short and any combination there of. Just like any other bait, you get a fish on it, speed it up. Faster taps, shorter swings etc. I've had fish come unglued when I do a total stop too, or again when I start moving it after that stop. Long swings before the stop, short's after, stop multiple times during a retrieve etc etc etc. Get creative!