• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Game Farm

I am thinking of going to a game farm this weekend to help the dog train..... I have only had her out 2 for grouse and she knows that she should be looking for something but not sure what.... Is pheasant a good idea, or would chukar's be better????? I would think pheasant would be ok since they should hold sincee they are tamer??????

IMO the more birds you get in front of the dog the better off you will be. Chukar are cheaper. Not all game farm birds hold tight. Why not go with a couple of pheasant and then round it out with as many chuckar as your wallet can handle.

If you have a pointer and you are actually going to train the dog I'd suggest pigeons (affectionately known as sky rats). They put out a lot of scent and are good flyers. They generally fly away so there is no chance of the dog catching it. You can wing lock them as well so they stay put.

If you are just going to go to the game farm to shoot a few birds then I'd go with pheasants or chukar. Generally they fly the best but quite honestly pen raised birds are not good flyers and often cause more training problems than they solve.