• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

If you want the best performing bullet, forget about steel. You will get anecdotal evidence suggesting it works great, but it just plain doesnt work as good as lead.

Try the Federal Pheasants Forever loads in 5-shot lead. They are fast, have 1 1/4 oz of shot and have a lot of energy thanks to their 1400 fps speed. For $16 per box, that is the best shell out there today IMO.

Actually, you can legally use a .22 for pheasant.

I personally like a 4 shot for early season, and will move up to a 2 shot or sometimes BB for later season, I don't like to wound birds and lose them.

The best shell to use for pheasants is the one that's laying on the ground after you've gone out and shot at least 4 rounds of trap. It ain't the shell that counts about 95% of the time, it's the ability to hit what you're shooting at.

I would suggest a 4-5-or6 3 inch shot depending on how good of a shot you are and what time of the season you are shooting. Anything bigger than that is overkill. I would rarely shoot 3 inch BB at a goose let alone a pheasant, of course if you prefer to sky blast go a head. Maybe a 2 shot late season if you are posting and a good shot otherwise, I wouldn't shoot bigger than a 4 shot 3 inch load at a pheasant. Of course if you're not interested in eating the meat why not use F shot. If you are lucky the F will clean the bird for you.