Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

• RECEIVE THE GIFTS MEMBERS SHARE WITH YOU HERE...THEN...CREATE SOMETHING TO ENCHANT OTHERS THAT YOU WANT TO SHARE

You know what we all love...

When you enchant people, you fill them with delight and yourself in return. Have Fun!!!

Sign in to follow this  
NCLaker

Red Eye Shad Killing the Big Ones

Jumped on the lake to fish for about an hour tonight. Used one of my favorite lipless cranks for Bass ... SK Red Eye Shad.

First fish went to set the hook on the hit, then set again to make sure I got a good hookset - it was not moving so I figured it was in the the lure was just stuck in rocks. After a few more pulls (keeping line tight the entire time of course), it started moving and I realized it was actually a fish. BIG bass, guessing at least 5+#/20+incher (would have been my PB). Unfortunately after the second jump, it dove deep and snapped my line (12# Gama). Caught another nice 4#er a few casts later.

10 minutes later caught my personal best Northern Pike - thick 35"er. Unfortunately my scale was not working, but I'm guessing it was at least 12#er (big aligator head). First time I have ever seen a pike jump completely out of the water (cleared at least 5"). It was a blast, was very lucky it did not cut the line.

After loosing one red eye to the bass, and my only other getting trashed by the big pike, I called it a night after about an hour.

Couple lessons learned.

(1) Gama Copoly is awesome line on for casting on a baitcaster - very castable & limp, only problem is that it nicks VERY easily and has to be checked frequently (cost me that bass), and another red eye this morning (snapped off on the cast).

(2) Plastic coated string nets are BRUTAL on big pike tales. After neting this one, I notices that the tail had multiple splits do to the net (not sure if it was all from me, felt bad - sad to see that happen on this beauty). ANY recommendation on a better net for multispecies (pike/bass/walley) that won't be so brutal on the fish and also fairly portable???

Congrats on a great day! Nets are really hard on pike I would suggest learning a 2 handed grab (1 on the gill, 1 on the belly). I'm going to look up the red eye shad!

CB, Probably runs naturally around 3ft, it being a lipless, you can run it deeper or shallower depending on retrieve rate or rod tip high or low. It's been effective for me in that 2-6 FOW for bass & pike.

I've been using the 1/2 oz. They now have a 1/4 & 3/4 oz version, but have not tried. Started using it this summer after reading of KVDs success with it.

I have two of them, both 1/2 oz version. They are great baits, probably one of the best lipless I have used. I lost a tank on White Bear this year. The only problem with lipless baits is that you absolutely must fish them on a moderate to slow action rod. The fish will jump and try to shake free 95% of the time, and if you are using a fast action rod there just isn't enough give and they will fling your bait. Exactly what happened to me with my biggin, switched over to a different rod on the next cast with the same bait, no problems since. If you get the Red Eye Shad baits, try the sexy shad colors, they work. grin

Polars, Thanks for the tip on the rod. I have had a lot of issues with the fish spitting this specific lure. I use it on both a 6'6 Compre med heavy fast action and TC4 Crankbait (moderate action) casting rod. Didn't pay attention as to which one was having more problems over the other. I always assumed it was the hooks, in fact just recently purchased some replacement hooks to see if that fixed it.

I'll try using just my crankbait rod for this lure and see if it helps. I don't seem to have this same problem as much with my rattlin raps.

I'm also a very big fan of the red eye shad. I lost 2-3 of them so far this year and will have to pick another one up this week. I like to use them in the spring and fall for best results. Too bad the pike can't stay off them when I'm fishing for bass...

I just don't know about this lure . It looks great in the water but i have never cought a fish on it yet! I have been using it most of the spring and summer. and in all different situations. both sexy shad and gizzard shad colors .

JDrummer, If you want to get rid of yours, let me know - I would be glad to take them of your hands. I need to restock grin

JDrummer, maybe try some greens and blues for colors with those baits. It will help mimick the natural forage (crappie, bluegill, perch) that we have in MN lakes. Those shad colors work well, but I've had better success with those colors where shad are the main baitfish.