• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

MN (Public Land for Pheasant)

What would be the best areas to hunt for pheasants in the state where public land is plentiful?

We've done the Ortonville area the past few years and it is nice there but we are looking for new experiences...

Any suggestions...we are coming from Northern Minnesota but distance isn't really an issue..

If you come to the SW corner, Look for the bottom 6 counties in the SW corner. Plan ahead, get a hotel in advance and many get filled. Numbers in Nobles, Murray, and Jackson county are very good. I have not spent much time in Rock, Pipestone, Cottonwood, or Lyon, but know many people there who tell me the numbers are very good as well.

Lac qui parle area has tons of public land. Tons of hunters too but watch them work a field and see what they miss, wait for them to leave, and work the areas they skip. Birds may be driven to them at times. Dont let the number of hunters scare you away as many are lazy and will not fully work over an area.

I live in the Willmar area. I spent last week around Browerville,Staples, Wadena.Deer hunting and driving to different areas that were public,I saw more pheasants in 4 days than I see here in 10-14 days,I dont know how heavy it is hunted for birds there or how much public land is available,But I'd hunt birds there if I would go after them!

That's so funny because I work in Staples and room in Wadena 9-12 days a month and rarely see birds. I have had days where I saw 3-4 but it's rare. Assuming you saw most of the birds closer to Browerville....?

Great to hear! It's always boggled my mind because I keep hearing people chatter about good pheasant numbers in this area, but I never see 'em!

P.S. Was driving around here in the Staples area again tonight looking for birds, didn't see a one!