• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

When will it be here?!?!!!

pkwalleye

Well first off, ice is never safe, it's a measured risk that we take every time we go out on it. Just my little disclaimer.

Early December usually bring fishable ice, last year I was on the ice in Southern MN on Dec. 9th, but that lake was partially open still.

To be comfortable most people like 4" of good clear ice, I'll push it and go out on 3" but I am very carful when I do...

The last few years it's been the first or second week of Dec. for the first fishable ice in the metro. Some get safe ice earlier than others. I always wait for at least 3" of good ice to head out. So we are about 8-10 weeks away if all goes to plan.

This recent thread has lots of opinions on this topic http://www.fishingminnesota.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/1534967/1/How_Much

If you are not familiar with the lake you are targeting, talk to people that are (e.g. bait shop can be a good source). Last year there were areas on lakes that froze 2+ weeks after most of the rest of the lake. So Most parts may have been 6", but the parts that froze later may have only been 1-2". Problem is multiplied if you get a good snow on top of it before ice gets very thick.

I tend to head to the Faribault/Mankato area during the ice season for day trips. Most of the metro lakes are too crowded and over fished for my taste. I usually have 2-3 big trips in a winter to either the gunflint trail, Mille Lacs, Lake of the Woods, or URL.

Falling through is not fun...it happened on south center near needle point around new years... 10" of ice all over lake except where we were. we got the wheeler and trailer out of 4 feet of water.. that was probably 5 years ago I guess my point is you never know ..p.s. it was at night after we were done for the day, and my buddy drove too close to the point, i guess