• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

RangeFinders with Angle Range Compensation (ARC)

bpoli2

Its funny you ask this. My dad just bought a range finder today to use for bowhunting. According to the guy at the store, it really doesnt make a huge difference unless the angle is very steep. Like 45 degrees or more. I personally dont want to have to guess and try to figure out the correct distance and chance wounding a deer. Depending on what you are shooting it may or may not make a huge difference in distance. Most bows nowdays are pretty flat shooting. For me, I think they are worth the expense. I am not great at judging distance in the woods so I bought one. Most of the range finders I have looked into that have the angle compensation are not much difference in price as those with out it. Thats just my 2 cents

I don't have one, but I practice out of a tree stand 20' up, and out to 30 yards. I shoot a bow set at 64# and is fairly fast. I hit exactly the same as if I'm on the ground. Most of the stand locations I have would only allow me a 30 yd (good)shot max. I'll put some hi-vis ribbon out to mark my yardages. Maybe out at 40+ it makes a difference? Never tried that shot. For me it's not worth it. If I hunted out west and might have to take a longer shot on an incline it might be different. Before you buy, take some shots out of a tree to see for yourself. As Kywest said, if you're not comfortable ranging by sight from your stand and want to be dead certain, it may be worth the extra bucks for it.

I have a range finder without the angle compensation deeley (also known as pythagorean theorem).

If stand hunting in trees I just range the trees at the same height up in the tree as my stand and get an accurate range from trees. Just don't aim at the bottom of the trunk and you will be OK.

It is only worth it if the price is right.