• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

help!!

pascooter94

the last three nites the same thing a nice 8 pt wont come out of the edge of a bedding area until dark about the last five min of light i can see him walking around but then after dark he will walk out and go up the hill and feed in the field, i dont want to spook him so i dont go in after him, i know that there are does in there but i wont to wait for him,need help what to do? thanks.

Patterning A big boy at this time of year is probably one of the hardest things to do. You have that part cut out for you. This is typical big buck behavior and odds are he will not come out of the woods earlier if he is smart. If you are going to go in after him I'd take all of my cloths wash them and air dry them. I'd then stuff them in a tote with vegetation from that area. Scent control is everything. If you can get high in a tree scent doesnt matter as much but not leaving a scent trail is key. When I say high I mean 25-35 feet high. Only hunt it when the wind is right.

I regularily hunt near or slightly into bedding areas in the morning. You maybe able to catch him on the way back from a night of eating.

Personally I'd go in.

First you need to be between him and the field. It sounds like you are away from where he is going. He isn't going to come to you, they are on a fairly regular route as of now, but it shouldn't be long and they are done with that. If you have been watching him for 3 nights you should have a good idea what he is going to do. You have ONE chance at getting him, and then you start over,

I know, my buddy missed a big 9, but we are lucky as he just started using the other side of the trees. Tonight if they don't get him they probly won't as they are as close to him as they can get, so either they shoot him, miss him, or get busted and then its back to the board. They have sat 3-4nights and have it narrowed down to a tree that they can get him out of and the other is covering another spot he comes out once in a while.

Know what he should do on a particular wind, get set up early, don't get busted by the does. If he is taking the same trail every night, and you have a chance to get him there do it, he won't come to you. Be as scentfree as possible. Remember you are not only outsmarting him, but you have all of the does, small bucks you have to outsmart first, that means they need to get by you, out to the field and stay there until this one comes out and you shoot.

Get in early where you won't/ can't get busted by the other deer and hope he does what he usually does. I wouldn't go in early and set up either,do it right before you hunt and quietly. It also sounds like he is in a staging area. If you can get between him and that you also have a chance. Otherwise a night when it is going to be rainy/darker or a storm is coiming might get him out to the field a little sooner. Tough game, but that is why its fun.

Lots of info for ya, hope it helps.

You've got him patterned... that's half the battle. Now get in closer and try to finish the deal. You could try a decoy to maybe bring him out of the brush a little earlier... or maybe carry a small blind in with you and sneak a little closer to where you've watching him stage before coming out... pay attention to the wind. Otherwise if you know for sure where the deer head to feed at night... wait for them to exit the bedding area... go in with a good flash light and hang a stand where you can get a crack at him returning to his bed and get your butt in there well before shooting time in the morning... at least an hour and hopefully get a shot when he returns. Likely a one-time shot but it's a shot if he's a dandy. Good luck.

Like everyone else has said I would get after him, if you can see him and you know where he is exiting the bedding area I would get as close to that spot as possible. Be as scent free and quiet as possible and make sure the wind is in your favor.

I would maybe only hunt him in the evenings since you have him pegged. Hunting him in the morning (not knowing where or when he comes through) might cause you to unknowingly spook him.

well I got busted!! went in about 75 yards and found the trail that went down to the river and one that went to a slough put the stand up about 30 yrds from it all was going good until i seen him about 40 yrds away coming my way but i never seen the doe she seen something and took off taking him with,Im going to try it again in a week in hopes he didnt know what was going on. your input is needed thanks.

this late summer the trail cam pics proved the deer were on their more "patterned" routes. so 2 weeks before bow opener decided to move my stand 80 yards closer to their trail. Walla, just like clockwork, opening night, the same time as pictures past, out he came. Biggest buck of my life.

now he's at the taxidermist

I'd move closer to him!! Just don't set up on him. just comfortable bow range.

well I got busted!! went in about 75 yards and found the trail that went down to the river and one that went to a slough put the stand up about 30 yrds from it all was going good until i seen him about 40 yrds away coming my way but i never seen the doe she seen something and took off taking him with,Im going to try it again in a week in hopes he didnt know what was going on. your input is needed thanks.

That is unfortunate you got busted by the doe but I think it was a chance you had to take, had she not been there it could have paid off big time. He may not know what happened, I like your idea of giving them a few days and get back in there and try it again. Good luck.

Give it time, the bucks are pretty nocturnal right now. I think as long as deer activity by the stand is still good, the buck might come back. If there is no deer activity now, you might want to find a place where there is some, unless you know it will pick up later in the season. I have a stand that deer are not walking by yet, but once the corn leaves and the rut starts, they will be there.