• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Question for .270 Shooters

My grandfather reloads for me, he took a look at the ballistics when i first got the rifle and said the 140's were good, middle ground between knockdown power and bullet drop. Right in the middle between the 130's and 150's you see everywhere. He reloads nosler ballistic tips.

Remington Core-lokt are a good choice for off the shelf factory ammo. They are pretty consistent as far as powder weight and bullet weight goes for factory loads. I've taken several of them apart and weighed them on my reloading scale and found them to be acceptable. As any handloader can tell ya a 4 inch pattern with factory ammo can be worked at or close to MOA with experimentation of powders, primers, casings, bullet weights and depth settings and bullet types. 140s digest great with the .270 in most cases. I was never able to work up a MOA load in my 270 other then with the 150 Sierra boattail. In my opinion, they have flooded the market with with all these exotic factory loads. What do you have with them??...expensive factory loads, that's all. Ergo, the tried and true affordable Core-lokt are the way to go.

Man I love this site! Thanks paul, good info, a guy just cant get this info anywhere else. I was shooting the 130 when I had a issue with my rifle but its back from the factory with a polished chamber and new bolt spring so now its time to get back to the range and dial in the 140's and see how they hit at the longer ranges.

Thanks again Tom.

Remington 130 grain core-lokt PSP's. I've had awesome luck with these, never had to blood trail a deer over 50 yds and a couple of them were DRT.

Brian

I shoot the Winchester Failsafe in 140 grain. Seems my gun doesn't like to pattern goupings as tight with Federal or Remington ammo as it does with the Winchester. Never had a deer run more than 30 yards when hit by this round. Great rounds.

I have always had great luck with 130 Grain Winchester Power Points. They are cheap and seem to pile the animals up for my group. I hunt with about 9 other that run .270 of various brands and we all shoot the same ammo.

after a lay-off I start at 25 yards and should cover a dime with a 3 shot string. Then move out to 100 and should be 2 inches high MOA, then out to 200 with 3" group and should be dead on and then out to 300 with a silouette with those "shot & sight" circles in the boiler zone.

Pac

I personaly like to zero at 100. I then know I am 2" low at 200. I have killed deer out to 300. Cross hairs level with the top of the back, bullet fell right in were it needed to be to do the job.

However, most of my shooting is done at well under 100 yards. I guess that is what happens when you grow up a bowhunter.

Im shootin 150 grain Federal Fusions out of my .270. Dropped my deer last year at 205 yards. Didn't crawl more than 10 yards. I too sight mine in at 100 yards, and shoot until I'm shooting very consistant 3 shot groups.