Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Matt Johnson

Portable Modification Get Together RECAP!!!

29 posts in this topic

StoreFront.jpg

FrontLawn.jpg

First off, a big thanks to everyone who attended the event yesterday! All of you are what made it such a fun event!

I believe we set a new record for attendance, probably more than double from a year ago. A lot of excellent conversations going on and a lot of cool modifications shown throughout the day.

I would also like to thank all of the sponsors for the event and those who donated product...

Clam donated a pile of hats and gloves. Thanks Smitty!

Vexilar donated enough hats for just about everyone to go home with one smile Vexilar also donated the very popular fish fry! Thanks Corey!

StrikeMaster donated 2 of the new Glide-Lites, a pile of bait pucks, a variety of shirts and brats/buns for the event. Thanks Cy and wife!

Pure Fishing donated several Cardinal 100 reels. Thanks Mickey!

Todays Tackle donated a box full of Ice Buster Bobbers, Ice Wells, Rocker Rockers and Rod Straps. Thanks Bruce!

MarCum donated chargers, Camera Compasses, battery monitors and decals. Thanks Joel!

Jiffy donated embroidered shirts, auger covers and auger kits. Thanks Brent!

SnoSuit donated some very nice embroidered fleece vests. Thanks Chris!

IceAsault donated rod holders. Thanks Bob!

The world ice fishing crew donated a nice crock-pot full of BBQ pulled pork. Thanks Jack!

And Thorne Bros donated dry core shirts and hats. Thanks Josh and team!

I sure hope I didn't miss anyone who donated.

I think its safe to say that everyone who stuck it out the entire day went home with three prive drawings smile We had enough prizes to go through all the tickets at all three drawings! So again, a huge thanks goes out to those companies who donated to this event! smile

I would also like to thank Thorne Bros resident rod builder and cook for cooking the brats and pulled pork. Thanks Jeremy Z!

Another thank you goes out to Corey Bechtold, Jeff Borchardt, Pat Smith and Chris Hanson for giving those wonderful seminars!

And last but not least, I would like to thank Josh, Pat, Shanna, Phil, Mike and Brian for helping out with the event!

All of you helped make this event a great day! smile

Here are some more pictures from the day...

FishHouses.jpg

VexilarFishFry.jpg

SeanJeep.jpg

Sean's jeep

SeanJeep2.jpg

SeanJeep4.jpg

SeanATV.jpg

Sean's ATV

SeanATV2.jpg

We recorded all of the audio from the seminars, so if you couldn't make it you can listen to them here, or listen to them again smile

CoreyBorchSeminar.jpg

CoreyBorchSeminar2.jpg

Using Plastics Under the Ice

Speakers: Corey Bechtold and Jeff Borchardt

CLICK HERE - Listen to Corey and Jeff's Seminar

MattPatSeminar.jpg

MattPatSeminar2.jpg

Tips for Finicky Wintertime Fish

Speakers: Matt Johnson and Pat Smith

CLICK HERE - Listen to Matt and Pat's Seminar

HansonSeminar.jpg

HansonSeminar2.jpg

Modifiying Your Portable Fish House

Speakers: Chris Hanson and staff

CLICK HERE - Listen to Chris' Seminar

Enjoy! smile

Matt

Great stuff man.. Thanks for the audio... All seminars were great to listen to.. Everyone should learn a few new things from the great anglers that spoke about their different niches.

Thanks for lining this up again Matt. You and your team outdo yourselves every year! For those that didn't get to make it this year (or have never gone to one) try to make it next year. You won't regret it.

It's a pretty clear consensus here that Thorne Bros rods are the best in the biz, but for those that didn't know you custom order your ice rods just like your open water rods. Change the handle, change the guides or whatever, it can be done. I ordered another Perch Sweetheart but this time I went with a Syncork handle and some different thread colors.

Again, thanks to all of you that had a hand in this.

Just simply awesome! I would love to see something of this magnitude down here in Illinois. We have a great following of Ice Anglers. It would be great to see something like this.......

Sounds like it was a great time, too bad I couldn't make it.

Anyone else have any pics to share? Looking to see what some people have done to their portables.

Who makes that big blue "quickfish" looking shack? Seems like there are a few different manufacturers making these now.

Who makes that big blue "quickfish" looking shack? Seems like there are a few different manufacturers making these now.

That's the Clam Command Post. Got to walk around in it at the show and it's really roomy. No issues standing up at all, even room for a few cots if you wanted.

I had a good time at the event. The effort put forth by everyone involved was evident.

Nice Job Matt and others!

Great prizes and food. I would encourage all to make time next year to attend.

The event was a ton of fun again this year. Lots of top quality information and I walked away with several pieces of information that should come in handy.

As always it's a good time hanging out with fellow Fmers and their friends and family.

We must be in a canyon. I hear an echo....echo........echo.

Here it is again folks. What a great event. Good to meet some you you fellow FMers from around the state and some from other states.

For my first time, the seminars are a great laid back not too classroom like concept. A great and easy way to learn. I talked to a couple of the younger attendees and they thought it was great to hear the how too's and why for's for many scenarios.

Matt and Thorne Brothers Staff, thank you so much for the hospitality. Great food, Excellent information, Tremendous product information and of course with FMers there, THE BEST PEOPLE!!!!

Glad to meet some you face to face!

I must admit, leaving the house by 6am I was totally prepared to grab my camera, and didn't. So I have no pics. Not to sound down, but I was expecting a few more houses to show up with some great mods, but I can't complain, there were a few there and the people are really what counts and that was great. I will say that new Clam command post was quite impressive. It would be like fishing in a dance hall!!! Wow, big and roomy.

Wanted to go and sorry I missed it. Anybody want share any ideas or cool products we may have missed out on. Looks like it was a great time.

dtro and Borch, you guys look like your related glancing at those pictures next to eachother.

Listen to the Seminars by clicking on the link. I know its not as good as in person but you can really get an idea on what the guys are using and what not.

I was pretty disappointed that I couldn't get the day off, will be nice that I can at least listen to the seminars. Thanks. Maybe next year.

It was great to meet all the folks I did, and really informative hearing about new techniques, and learning about fishing from folks that came from as far away as South Dakota!

This year's event was even bigger than last years, yet there were still more than enough prizes to go around, more than once. Thanks to all the fine sponsors of the event, and thanks to Matt and other Thorne staff that put in the extra work and effort to make this a reality.

Oh, and for those of you who don't think you can get excited for ice-fishing in Septemeber? Trust me, you slip right back into it like it were early December! Almost in a scary way.

Joel

Man, i cant believe i had to work and was not able to get out there to see what was all going on. Looks like it was alot of fun up there and i hope to be able to hit it next year.

It was great to see some of the FM'ers even though I didn't get a chance to talk to many people, sat thru the plastics seminar and headed home to digest the information and get ready for the ice to form.

We are going to start our Wednesday Night Seminars in November. So every Wednesday night starting on November 5 and going through March we'll be having a seminar at Thorne Bros. We already have some excellent speakers lined up! We are also going to record the audio or video tape the seminars. Should be a great season ice fishing seminars!

Stay tuned for the November list of seminars...

My neice and i attended the plasics seminar and she talked all about it on the way home, we plan to use more plastics this year. By the way we love our matching pink hats that we won. Thanks to all that helped pull this toghther.

Hope

Looks like it was a good time. Was a late drop, but I'll be making my way back up to Fridley on my way north for some planned trips and whenever I find myself in the neighborhood.

Great job Matt, Thorne Bros, speakers, and attendees. First ice can't come fast enough.

We are going to start our Wednesday Night Seminars in November. So every Wednesday night starting on November 5 and going through March we'll be having a seminar at Thorne Bros. We already have some excellent speakers lined up! We are also going to record the audio or video tape the seminars. Should be a great season ice fishing seminars!

Stay tuned for the November list of seminars...

Hey Matt any chance you can record and post these seminars here. For guys like me that cant make it all the way down there it would be a great way to hear and learn some stuff.

Me and Matt have been working on that plan for a bit now. I think most if not all will be recorded for the future. I am lucky enough to live close so I can make it to every one of em. If you can make it, do so, if not, be sure to check out the recordings.

After listening to these I wish it had visual. Any chance of getting both autio and visual?

So many things get talked about as they are being shown and you dont get that without visual of course.

If not no biggy but it sure would be nice.