• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Rage's are a must

Kyle

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ive had pass throughs with the rage 3 blade, no problem there. I did have one tip curl over, but I'll take that any day with the ease of finding my deer 20yds from where I killed it. My other two I simply sharpened and will use them again.

Oddly enough we found a blade in the leaves. The broadhead came apart at some point in the pentration. That would explain the smaller exit wound I guess.

same thing happened to me. i've heard from others that have had the same thing happen.

of the 4 deer i've shot w/ rage over the last two years only 1 was i happy with the result. it was a poor shot that was back to far but that huge cutting diameter messed the deer up.

i'm going back to muzzy, i've always been happy with them.

I swirtched and have had very good luck and all the others in our party shoot them and they also have been very happy with no problems to date. All two blades.

As far as a shoulder hit goes, each hit is different and one needs to hope for the best.

They are one heck of a good broadhead thats for sure. Hitting bones like the ribs and spine will seriously affect penetration, but will also leave a major blood trail.

A shouler bone hit with any broadhead is bad business, but that is where a fixed blade may get the job done. In that same situation a expandable will fold more often than not.

Bottom line is correct shot placement works everytime.

I have shot 3 deer this year with Rage 2 blade and ever one was a complete pass through. I shoot around 64 lbs pull and as said placement is the most important.

One thing that does concern me is on the entrance hole which, is large the internal vitals bulged(to the size of a tennis ball) this stoped the blood flow. This didn't happen on the first deer because the shot was straight through the vital's. The bulging ones were going away shot which put the entrance further back on the body. The exit wound had lots of blood flow.

The other thing that happened is when replacing the front tip blade the hex screw striped out. Havn't figgured out how to get the screw out yet.

I put my 1st rage in the cage last week...I hope this is an indication of what it to come with future rage deer.

I shot the deer at 15 yards shooting down hill the hit was good a little high but clipped both lungs with the rage 2 blade the deer ran 100 yards before expiring. There was no exit hole and suprisingly being hit a little high it was the best blood trail i have ever followed with only 1 hole hit high.

The blood trail was 3 to 5 feet wide for most of the trailing! Absolutely awesome, so after I skun the deer out I took a tape measure to the entrance wound it was 3 1/8 inch I suppose it maybe had torn open a little more running through the brush!

Absoulutley dynamite can't wait to baptize another one with the rage!

hey i just bought some havent tried them out but sometimes when i knock my arrow and walk around all of a sudden i look down and the blade is not locked in place anymore? anyone else get this problem im afraid it might open in flight before it hits?

You have to push them in until the little open space opposite side the sharp edge of the blade locks down in the rubber o-ring. I questioned that at first also then luckily figured it out. Bumping the broadhead on things will knock them loose. This little quirk is what allows the blades to expand as well as they do; so its a good thing. It also makes one alot more carefull about bumping the arrow on things, and knowing where the arrow is pointing at all times. Having this in the back of your mind will allow one to be more quiet when raising and re-situating the bow in the stand(not bumping tree limbs etc..) for a shot.

that is going to be a problem with rage heads. you can't stalk hunt or walk in the woods with them, as a blade or two will come loose after bumping something. even after nocking in the stand and getting everything all set up, you should still double check that they are locked in place

That is about the only negative I've found with them. But if I'm still-hunting, I'm moving pretty slow and deliberate, and not too likely to get my arrow twisted in brush. But it does happen now and then. I stuck a young doe at Ripley last week. Shot was 28 yds I was on the ground. She was quartering away, and the arrow entered in front of the hind leg and exited behind the opposite front. She made it maybe 15 yards. Both wounds looked like a fixed 3-blade went thru. Found the arrow a couple steps before her. Was not a complete pass thru, but dang close. I think the head must have caught on some brush and pulled it completely thru. Maybe why one blade was bent? Who knows. It worked. Although I didn't need blood to track, there was plenty.

Ok let me shed some light on the rage broadheads that have "fallen" apart after impact. I was talking to an employee of the rage broadhead facility, (not rage itself but fieldlogic) and he said that a recent batch (don't know specific times), he said they got "discount" roll pins to hold the blades in and was not to the correct specs. Once the broadheads would enter the body the friction of the blades will crunch or roll the pin together like you would a newspaper thus reducing its diameter and letting the blades pop out. I have seen the new ones and they have one beefy looking pin holding them in. I have the original version with the set screw.

i now carry a FIXED BLADE broadhead that I use when walking,stalking, something other than not in my stand or spot. once i get situated I then knock an arrow with a rage expandable. I did this before with my other expandables too because once in a while i would catch the blade on a branch and it would either break the rubberband or pull it back. I cant wait to try the rage broadheads and see the damage in action. I just havent had a Candidate yet

Rage broadheads sound very lethal but i dont think i could step away from my magnus stinger buzzcuts. I have found no other broadhead that flies the exact same as my field points until i used magnus. If i was to go with an expandable broadhead though, i do believe id use rage. The only problem i see with expandables of any kind is what if you hit shoulder? are you going to get enough penetration? These are just a few things that scare me from using expandables of any kind. And hunter4life it sounds like it doesnt matter what broadheads you use if ur shooting that good!

There was a couple guys on this thread that even admitted that they had penetration issues when shooting through a rib!! A RIB!!!! The deer i shot last week blasted right through ribs on both sides AND stuck 8" into the ground. Thats the kind of penetration i like to see

don't get me wrong, i do love rage broadheads. but i think the problem with them is their selling point is the fact of such large cutting diameters, and the massive blood trails. this makes it sound like you can shoot a deer anywhere and it will die. one cant stress enough that shot placement is the most crucial in harvesting a deer. many of us here have said it, but it seems like a lot of people forget that fact. If you're not holding tight groups at the range, then stick with a fixed blade broadhead. chances are way better that if you hit that tough shoulder, the end result will be a harvest, not 6 hours on the blood trail coming up empty handed. think about it, a well placed shot with a field point would do a deer in, however, not legal. ever wonder why they aren't!

then there won't be so many stories of deer hit in the shoulder and never found. i'd bet almost any bow hunter you'll talk to has lost a deer, and chances are that good ol shoulder blade was the culprit.

kinda like perch hinted at, ribs shouldn't affect a thing with an arrow. after all, what you need to shoot is completely surrounded by them.

So dont risk it then Perch....Your missing out though. I simply posted this because the success I have had with them has been far better than I ever expected. They will take any shot to another level that just wasnt possible before. So many people are so scared to try something new...fear of innovation. I think its great if something works for you and that is what you are comfortable with, however, say you shoot a deer with the broadhead you are comfy with, and the deer dies within 50yds. The rage will do it in half that. I am very very color blind, and I have literally had someone point out blood to me and still couldnt see it, so the less tracking I have to do the better. Thats what it comes down to for me-how long will I have to search, because it will take me 3 times longer to find my deer than anyone else. Granted, I shot my bow a TON this summer getting ready for the season, and ya, I have consistantly been shooting very well for a long time now, so that defineately has something to do with it. Having said that, some of you out there are telling me that it has more to do with my shot than anything. In my eyes, if you are one of those people that cannot seem to put the arrow in the same place every time, then you should be shooting a rage. They are absolutely no different than shooting your field points, and they are going to do the most damage possible. this is going to take your bad shot and give it the best possible outcome for a shot like that...something that other broadheads just cant compete with.

Next year I will try something else...I like to change it up and compare. That is part of the fun of getting ready to hunt...

although i agree with hunter4life for the most part, i do not agree with the fact that someone who cannot hit the same spot everytime should be shooting rage's. i will admit i have never shot a rage but being an expandable i think if you hit the deer in the shoulder you will not get enough penetration with the rage therefor i do not think someone who cannot shoot consistent should be shooting an expandable. But for the most part i agree with you hunter4life

I disagree. People talk about not getting enough penetration. I dont know what people think it is going to take to kill a deer? If you shoot a deer in the shoulder, its going to die. You may not get a pass through, or even a double lung, but that deer is going to die. I had a complete pass through this year and one that stuck into the opposite shoulder. There was more blood with the deer than had the arrow in its opposite shoulder than the one that had the pass through, and it died quicker. The rage cuts more than any other broadhead, so it doesnt it makes sense that a person that may not have a perfect shot should use a broadhead that cuts the most? I think so... i just dont see how people are having penetration issues. That broadhead cut through those bones like butter.

Im going to use a muzzy 100grain 4 blade on the next deer I kill...I'll let ya know what I think about it if I get that opportunity to compare the two broadheads. Rage and Muzzy.