• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Rage's are a must

Kyle

I killed my second deer of the season tonight. Both with a rage three blade, and neither one went more than 20 yds. When deer expires not 5 seconds after being shot, there is something to be said not just about the shot taken, but the broadhead used. I have a buddy that just shot a bull elk in MT on monday. He shot it at 78 yds(he's been practicing at 80) and the rage three blade sliced through a rib and crushed its opposite shoulder. It only when 70yds, and that is not far for a bull elk. That is downright amazing at 78yds to get a double lung, and then at that range for a broadhead to still penetrate that far and that hard! I think rage's are a must if your a bowhunter. Ive heard almost no negative things about them, and they create just an ubelieveable entrance and exit hole. In my book they are the best way to create a clean, quick, humane kill. Not saying that you shouldnt always aim for the best possible shot, and try your best to put in the boiler room, but I really think the rage is about one of the only broadheads out there than can take a bad shot and make it into a not so bad outcome. Im sure some of you will disagree with me on this, but that is ok, everyone can have their opinion, but I just love these things!

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I havent used them but have heard several bad things about them. (One shot head, blades deploying early, can't replace blades as the screw will strip, penetration problems).

Sure they will work but they are more money than any other broadhead I have seen other that Silver Flames. I think it is all about the marketing and am not buying into the hype.

I double lunged a couple deer early last year that went 25 yards each and died quick just like yours did. One with a Slick Trick mag and one with a Wasp Jak Hammer 1.25".

Give yourself some credit for the good shots. It wasnt the broadhead.

I just replaced the blades on all of my 3 rage 2blades and the top blade nothing stripped and it was easy. they were dull cause the o rings dried up and broke, so the bladed would slip out and be exposed so I got that fixed and cant wait to use one this year. last year I took down 2 does both with montecs one of witch only went 30 yds also and was down in a few seconds, I will see what happens.

My buddy started shooting these heads last year and has now shot 3 deer with them and not a single pass through. Penetration is poor to say the least. Watch all the Drury videos and or some of the other videos out ther and you will notice very few pass throughs. I agree with otheres that if hit in the right spot most broadheads will do just as good of job. Pass throughs are very helpful when it comes to trailing deer. Especially if the deer is hit high, due to a steep angled shot. Just my opinion but i think that there is not an expandable broadhead on the market that has the penetration of a fixed blade. The accuracy is nice though.

I killed a doe this year with a rage 2 blade. I ended up shooting high, i didnt spine her but it was kind of close and i only got about 6 or 7 inches of penetration. But the good thing is it still left a huge blood trail and my deer expired after 100 yards with a poor shot. it left a huge entrance whole and as soon as i hit her the blood was everwhere. I cant wait to try them again becasue im curious to see what those things would do with a well placed shot. Guess only time will tell. oh and by the way my broad head that i shot the deer with was just fine and is ready to fly another day.

I have shot 5 deer with the rage 2 blade and had complete pass throughs on all, all short tracking jobs with very large wounds, they have been nothing but great for me. I am pulling 60lbs and I wouldn't suggest anything less than that for expandibles.

I havent used them but have heard several bad things about them. (One shot head, blades deploying early, can't replace blades as the screw will strip, penetration problems).

Sure they will work but they are more money than any other broadhead I have seen other that Silver Flames. I think it is all about the marketing and am not buying into the hype.

I double lunged a couple deer early last year that went 25 yards each and died quick just like yours did. One with a Slick Trick mag and one with a Wasp Jak Hammer 1.25".

Give yourself some credit for the good shots. It wasnt the broadhead.

+1

I have used Rage's before and I have had the same thing happen with a fixed broadhead also. Don't think that Rage's are a must but they are a good head.

Congrats on the kill! It's more you than your equipment!

My buddies and I were warned last weekend by a conservation officer that two blade rage are illegal. In aw, being the two blades user myself, I was informed that the legal cutting diameter of a broadhead can't exceed 2 inches. Well, their entrance cutting diameter is 2.5 inches at the wing tips.

Anyone else hear of this, or was he having a bad day?

I too have seen them on the movies like Drury Outdoors and all the moster buck flics and was convinced. After using them, I was convinced they were the way to go. But perfect shot placement is still critical.

First I've heard. I'd venture a guess as to you'd be fine using the Rage 2 blade. The company advertises a 2" cutting diameter. Although in literature on the back of the packaging they do claim 2+" entry. If I had a CO give me a hard time, I'd voice my opinion on that one. It's not like you're using a 3 1/2" Vortex.

I helped a buddy track a deer last year after being shot with the rage 2 blade. My assistance wasnt needed as we could have follewed the blood trail blindfolded. Awsome broadheads. I just bought some this year and want to see how they will work for me.

I have heard the if the blades go into the deer horizontally they will have to crush the ribs going in and sometimes cant crush through on the other side. If you are pulling lower draw weight mech's arent a good idea.

Interesting, on the Rage site they say 2 inch cutting diameter but claim as the blades are opening you get a 2.5 entrance hole. I don't think you can count the opening blades as the cutting diameter so hopefully the CO was having a bad day.

They sound illegal to me. This is from the DNR HSOforum.

“Expandable” broadheads may be used to take big game if they meet the requirements above and: 1) are at least ⅞ inch in width and no more than 2 inches in width at or after impact; and 2) are of a barbless

design and function in a barbless manner.

This spring I pinwheeled a turkey broadside at 20 yards. I watched the nock disappear right where I thought it should. The bird hobbled off to 40. I knocked another arrow and smoked him again. This time he ran/flew off. I waited 1/2 hour. Trailed blood over 300 yards for another 1/2 hour. I busted him flying off the ridge while continuing the search after losing blood. This was with the 2" expandable. First arrow was bloody tip to tip. Second arrow had just some blood/feathers on the head. 4 more hours of searching yielded nothing. I don't know what happened. Suppose I could've gut shot it. Still, the damage I had to have done. How it didn't die with two rages put into him, I'll never know. Still depressed about that one.

Gave them another try on deer and killed a doe Sun. night. 35 yards, right behind the shoulder. Double lung pass thru, cut parts of rib on both sides of the body. The thing took off on a dead run and made it 30 yards before her head started to get lower and lower. Never saw the death tumble, but it was 75 yards from the shot. Found a pool of blood the size of a basketball coming out of the mouth. Never seen that on a bow killed deer with many double lungers using the thunderheads I used to use.

I could see where esp. the 2"ers wouldn't be right if you're not pulling at least 60.

They are a one shot head IMO. Both of the turkey shots, rage was duller and nicked. Same with the deer. I could still use them for turkeys, as penetration isn't what you're necessarily looking for.

Jury's out still with me. Would like to do more testing. Very impressed with the deer. Very unimpressed with the turkey. They're spendy, no doubt about it, but how many deer do you kill a year with the bow?

Joel

come rifle season, a lot of people spend 30 bucks or more for rifle ammo. maybe they get two boxes. shoot one box to build up their confidence at the range, and blast another box hunting to get a deer, maybe two.

so that is 60 bucks, probably more depending on the caliber.

a 3 pack of rage are 40 bucks. you don't practice with them, just the enclosed practice tip. I plan on taking three deer with them. One down, two to go. after each kill, the arrow and broadhead are respectively retired.

i am by no means a pro, but i know that if i am shooting at a deer with my bow, chances are i'll get it. a lot can go wrong hunting, but once you draw back on a deer, most of everything that can go wrong hasn't, so point and release.

yes, they are spendy, and they work flawlessly, but the shot placement still has to be there.

a lot of people consider rage to be another gimmic. I happen to believe they fly better than fieldpoints.

Anything you shoot with, you should feel confident, not cocky!