• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Good Beers

caseymcq

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I hear that. There's a difference between a good beer to sip on, or a beer that I can drink more than 3 or 4 of them. I'm all about a good beer, but if you're on a mission with your buddies, (for me), it's gotta be something of the lesser quality.

Yup, there is the beer I drank in college and the beer I drink now that I am a little bit of a grown-up. laughwinkgrin

My absolute favorite is a good Hefeweizen. I haven't met a German-made variety I didn't like. I've met a few American-made that really missed the mark. Summit is one of the American companies that nailed it on the head, though. To me, its blasphemy not to have a thick lemon slice in a glass of this beer and you have to drink it in a good mug, not out of the bottle. In the winter, I love dark ales but also some strong pilsners. Pilsner Urquell is the original and best pilsner I have ever had. I usually get a case for Christmas every year as its my celebration beer to share with the relatives.

Casey, I brew my own as well as drink a lot of different beers. If you're looking for really good beer that is in most stores, its tough - particularly up north a ways. Take a look at northernbrewer.com, they even ship homebrewing stuff, its a lot of fun.

As for macro brew brown ales, I'd have to say Newcastle, Samuel Smith, and Sam Adams have the most widely distributed, although sometimes finding the Sam Adams brown ale can be a chore at a smaller store.

For Brown Ales New Castle and Moose Drool are 2 of the best I've ever had.

Like goblueM I drink a lot of beers. Beer is something that should be experimented with. Some times you get awful beers and sometime you find great beers.

There's "beer drinkin'" in which case no matter which your brand is, after 3 you just about can't tell the diff between brands anyway so why bother paying for premium brands.

And then there is "drinkin' beer" in which case, for taste, I prefer Beck's Dark, then Beck's, then Bass, then far too many to mention.

Can't remember the brown ale I used to get but I think it was Honey Brown Ale...and wasn't too expensive.

Cannot stand the wheat or Oktoberfiest or especially Blue Moon.

Just remember guys, there is no such thing as a bad beer, just some beers are better than others!

Anybody try the leinenkugels fireside nut brown?? I think it is delicious and will be the ice fishing beer for winter!!!!

The Fireside Nut Brown is Great!!! I was scrolling down to sugest it and here it is.

Tis the season for dark beer. A few extra pounds hide under heavy cloth's.

I have been drinking the Fireside Nut Brown and Creamy Dark for about a month now. Just waiting for the Sam Adam's Cream Stout to come out.

I Look forward to "Dark Beer Season" as much as deer season. (DBS... Oct. 15 - Apr. 1(gotta have time to get rid of the weight before Tshirt weather))

Yup, the Fireside Nut Brown is very good. In fact most of the beers mentioned so far are very good. But if you really want to treat yourself, may I suggest the House Ale at Great Waters Brewery in St. Paul. It is a cask conditioned, hand pulled beer, served a tad warmer than most and not carbonated. It is like drinking silk. Also, their other selections aren't bad either, but the House Ale rules. They can be purchased in 1/2 gal. growlers, but they don't like to sell the House Ale that way. Takes too long to fill and by lacking carbonation it will not keep long.

I love Point Beer, my brother keeps me in supply since Eau Claire is the closest we can get it in canbs. I have always loved good beer, so everything mentioned I have drank. Two Hearts makes tremendous beers as well. Their stout is unbelievable.

All this talk of beer is getting me thirsty, out to the garage to rescue another point from the fridge.