• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Good Beers

caseymcq

Does any one know of a good nut brown ales or honey pilsners available in most stores?

I have been drinking a nut brown ale from the South Shore Brewery that is excellent but it is tough to get (Duluth is the cloesest place I can find it and that is 1.5 hours away).

An excellent honey pilsner is Honey Moon (brewed by Blue Moon) but that is only available seasonally(summer). Honey Wiess is good too but I like to try something different.

Anbody have any other "good" beer suggestions?

Anybody brew their own?

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I haven't had too many beers that are bad IMO. Moose Drool and Samuel Smith are good brown ales. Some good smaller midwest breweries I subscribe to are:

Bell's

New Glarus

Viking Brewing Company

Rush River

Schell's

Surly makes beers that defy classification, but I suppose Bender fits into the Aerican Brown Ale class.

They make the best beers in the world. I love being a part time beer snob (although I have Genuine draft on tap in my basement, the cooler behind it always has craft type beers in it) and Surly is the runaway best beer brewer in America. And they're in our back yard!

Go! Go buy some today!

Oh wait. You can't. It's Sunday.

/stupid Minnesota

My favorite Nut Brown Ale would be Samuel Smiths Nut Brown Ale. It's an english beer that you can get in a pint or a 4 pack. It's a little more expensive, but good. They also have a good oatmeal stout.

Oh, and fat tire is pretty good stuff too! But New Belgium brewery offers a lot more than just fat tire.

Originally Posted By: muskyhunter57
Blue Moon Belgian White with an orange slice. Unbelievably refreshing.

Girly beer alert. grin

Do you put one of those tiny umbrellas in it as well?

grin

Man Law: No fruit in beer.

If you ever go to Germany and order a wheat beer(Weizen) the odds are pretty good you will get it served with a slice of lemon and the brewery that made the beer will have been around at least 800 to a 1000 years so they might know something on how a beer should taste. When you pour that beer into your glass the head will rise up to around 2-3 inches above the rim of the glass and will all settle back in without spilling a drop. Now that's a beer and YES I do miss the great flavors of all the beers they make. If your town had at least a 100 thousand people you would have at least 3 local brewery's and if you were farther away then 30 miles you would not find your local beer.

try newcastle or goose island nut brown ale, can't go wrong with either!!

Right on, I've never been disappointed with any Goose Island beer. I really like their Oatmeal Stout too.

I love this time of year, all the various brands have their Oktoberfest brews available.

Although I whole-heartedly subscribe to "Man Laws", lemon is technically allowed in a Weiss beer; as wussified as that may appear.

Corona is an abomination of that principal. As a matter of fact, Corona is an abomination. However, Mexicans will serve just about anything they eat or drink "con limon", or "with lime". Squeeze a lime on a sliced tomato one time. You'll never go back.

/Learned from a Mexican friend.

Surly is one of the most wonderful beers out there right now! I just went to the autumn brew review in minneapolis this weekend, and surly was the busiest tent in the place. I discovered bender a few years ago, and buy it every once in a while. I brew my own, and am always trying new things, but surly is wonderful. I also love newcastle, as my avatar can atest to. I do keep Grain Belt on tap, but I am really considering Surly bender for my next keg, even though it is 3 times the price of Grain Belt.

Another great aussie beer is Coopers Sparkling Ale. I've only been able to find it at Surdyks.

Anyone ever tried Lindemans lambics? Their belgian beers. It's almost like a champagne. But they come in cherry, raspberry and blackberry. Corked and ready to go. They're a good sipper, but at $9 bones a bottle, a little on the expensive side!

Miller Lite....are there other kinds that are out there? grin

Miller Lite just put out a pint aluminum bottle, different than the one Bud has had out for awhile. The Miller version is the same size around as a can of beer, only slightly taller than a 12 oz can, and it has the Mickeys Big Mouth style cap and top on it. Keeps the beer ice cold