• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

A few more decoy, spear and spearing pics

Early Riser

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

NO merkman you don’t have enough! You need a lot more different colored ones in different sizes and shapes.

Wheew.. Thanks for the guidance.. I was starting to go to toward the dark side there for a minute. Musta been all the brainwashing/propaganda the wife was throwing my way.

Merkman, how big is your new decoy? It looks huge next to your others.

13 and 3/4 inches.

A little bigger than I expected.

I am going to spear Rainy Lake so I am hoping to get a big pig come and check it out. I don't think I will spear a big one but I would love to see one!!!

If you think that one is big.. wait until next week.

I will post a pic of the new decoy I ordered.

Then and now. The perch is from today and the other is one of the first few that I ever made. I think its close to 20 years old. Looks like the tail is hot glued on, and the bottom fins are nailed on. I used whatever dad had laying around back then. If I remember right, it swam good and attracted a fish or two. I am kind of surprised that it was never thrown away or lost.

P1030565-1.jpg

This was my grandfather spear and the one I have had for the past 30 some years. It's 7 1/2 inches wide with a 5 foot handle. It is well balanced and takes very little effort to throw. I have yet to find one that throws as well as this one. I have been told its to narrow by some but beg to differ.

DSCN0048.jpg

Dinnerpail,

Your spear looks like it may have been made by either Alfred or Heine Louis. Alfred made spears in Paynsville MN from about 1931 to 1976. Heine was making spears near Cologne, MN during the same time period. I cross referenced your spearhead with several reference books and this is the best possible match I can come up with.

Do you have any additional information about where your grandfather purchased the spear? I think one of Alfred's sons may still run his blacksmith shop in Paynsville, but I am not sure about that.

sham, last year you showed pics of crappie, nord, and sunfish decoy on here. would like to know what it cost me to have one of each made. it is my intent to display them on a shelf in my bar/family room. have you ever made a frog deke?

The first spear was made by Erskine by the two brothers named Skiple. If I remember right it might have cost $14.00 when it was new. They are very collectable up here. I sold one last season for $200.00. The other spear might have been made over by Flom. I can’t remember what his name is. Dang senior frown moments. Is the second one heavy?

Very Nice Fish Toys! Thanks for the info! My grandpa is the barber in Waubun, and says people are always in wanting to buy it. Dave Boman made the 2nd one and it is pretty heavy. Unless I'm just use to using the Skiple spear because it is very light.

The first spear was made by Erskine by the two brothers named Skiple. If I remember right it might have cost $14.00 when it was new. They are very collectable up here. I sold one last season for $200.00. The other spear might have been made over by Flom. I can’t remember what his name is. Dang senior frown moments. Is the second one heavy?

I wonder what type of biz your in Wayne!