• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

A few more decoy, spear and spearing pics

Early Riser

I hope others will post some pictures of their decoys, spears, etc. I love seeing them, as I hope others do as well.

Lawrence Bethel perch:

LawrenceBethelPerch2008205.jpg

Dean Steffen folk art decoy from the Perham decoy show:

FamilyFunJanuary-June2006037.jpg

Wild looking Loyd Raddi frog decoy:

LoydRaddiFrog2008209.jpg

Bob Johnson Frog decoy:

BobJohsonFrog2008210.jpg

Dennis Bertram decoys from the Perham decoy show:

FamilyFunJanuary-June2006043.jpg

14" Bertram decoy with a pike going to the bottom for a dead sucker (from Stiff's house):

DennisBertramDecoyIMG_4648.jpg

Close-up of Kraemer 9-tine spearhead:

JKreamerspear2008188.jpg

Close-up of Kraemer spear end:

JKreamerspear2008172.jpg

Close-up of Moening spearhead:

LMoeningspear2008180.jpg

Close up of Moening spear end:

LMoeningspear2008181.jpg

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thayne Johnson fish eating fish decoy:

021.jpg

Red/White worker. It has been repainted a few times and the pike just keep grabbing on to it. I am not sure who made this decoy, but the initials RH are on the bottom. I found this one at Tabers bait in Bemidji:

022.jpg

What we are waiting for. The smaller decoy hanging by the hole is likely a whitfish attractor. The decoy in the hole is similar to the decoy pictured above. The print is simply called "Darkhouse Spearing" by Les Kouba:

028.jpg

Your welcome Jimmy. I recall a few years back you had posted some decoy pics, including that mobile I see in your avatar. Am I right about that?

By posting pictures of decoys now and again, I am hoping to get others to do the same so that we can all enjoy the really nice working and folk art decoys, spears and spearing equipment that is out there.

BnS, It is by far my favorite outdoor print all time. Even before I speared, there was something about the print that really appealed to me. It embodies the freedom, solitude, independence, preparation and timelessness that is inherent in the outdoor experiences that many seek.

One thing I love in that particular print in the series is that the viewer doesn't know if the fish was harvested or not. You can imagine that if the fish was comming in slowly, the spearer must have a lot of hours in the house - and the enjoyment is in watching the fish, as you can tell that he is not on edge, meaning his feet are flat on the floor and his hand is still not even on the spear.

In the other prints in the darkhouse trilogy the fish is depicted as being harvested. The overall feel of the work is from a bygone era when spearing, angling and hunting were more likely to be considered an opportunity to harvest, in addition to the other aspects of the sport we seem to talk more about these days.

Yes I havent made any decoys in a few years I keep telling myself I need to get back to work. I still collect decoys and I will start making then again soon I hope. I will see if I can post a few of my collection as soon as I can figure out how. Thanks again for the wonderful pics.

I would guess about 30 or so I only started collecting about 4 years ago. Most are contemporary, some are old not much value in the ones I have but I enjoy them. Most of the decoys I made were gifts, I don't think i have made more than 60 they are all signed Jimmy C. on the bottom if you find one.

I have benn collecting decoys for about 4 years now. I mostly collect contemporary decoys and get most of mine throught he decoy shows in Perham, Medina and Alex. I also pick up a few here and there at small bait shops that cater to spearers in the winter. I have purchased a few on [YouNeedAuthorization] and through correspondence with some of the carvers out there. I am glad people enjoy decoys and pictures of them. When I get the chance I will post a few more shots.