• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Topwater Fishing

couillard.10

My favorite type of fishing is by far topwater. I personally like spooks the best and have had a lot of success with them. I know that it is best to topwater fish in the early morning and at night, but does anyone know other variables that have an effect? i.e. wind, rain, fog ect. And what is you favorite topwater lure?

Thanks for your feedback

Couillard.10

I have my best success with topwaters when its overcast and a slight wind(5 mph or so). I like a little ripple on the water and even working them thru waves is alright by me. I feel like I can fish more agressive this way and the fish respond by being more agressive themselves. My favorite lure is any tandem (side by side) buzzbait followed closely by a rip style lure like a Rapala Skitter Prop.

My experience with top waters is that the flatter the water the better they work. Spooks, skitter pops, popR's and buzz baits all are effective depending on how aggressive the fish are. This year I took up fly fishing for added dimension to my fishing. I really enjoy wading around the small lakes and pitch floating flies into the weeds and pads for bass and panfish. Expanding on this I found a line of small floating bugs at Cabelas that are heavy enough to be flipped or casted with a spinning rig. Twitching these bugs on the surface can produce ferocious hits by bass, northern, and panfish.

There is no bad time to fish a top water! Low light is a good time to use top water lures but a little chop on the water works well. This time of year I like to team up and throw a big jitterbug and have my partner come right behind my wake with a smaller version. Fish will go after the 2nd lure as the first one coming through works as an attractor. Spooks in deep water will bring fish up and devil horses twitched around the shaded sides of docks will pull fish out from beneath them. Have had some great days fishing going top water in a light falling drizzle. You always come across fishy looking spots that you know must have fish. Dropping a top water and letting it sit lets you work that spot ever so slowly. One of the few lures that you can work just by shaking your rod tip and letting you lure quiver on the surface.